1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP drivers in Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by HeyYoWL, Nov 14, 2006.

1. HeyYoWL

HeyYoWL Member

Does anyone know if XP drivers will work in Vista? I was planning to get Vista, but before doing so I ran the online compatibility check. Everything should be ok, except for one thing. My PCI IDE controller. Because my motherboard is old and has no LBA, I had to use a seperate IDE card that was LBA capable to use my new 320GB hard drive. I bought the Promise Ultra 100 TX2 card and after getting the updated XP drivers, everything is fine. However, the compatibility check said that the card won't work for Vista, so now I'm not sure what to do.

2. ashwin18

ashwin18 Regular member

Considering that Vista is completely made from scratch, it has no relevance with XP, and comparing with previous such situations, I don't think that they would work.

EG: Win 98/ME have a similar core, yet they require different drivers. Windows 2000/XP also have a similar core, and Intel drivers (for example) work on both 2000 and XP but not on 98/ME.

3. steve420

steve420 Member

the awnser is yes i have a linksys wmp54g wireless network card and im using vista pre-rtm but it wouldnt let me run the setup for it so i had to manually install it

4. ashwin18

ashwin18 Regular member

Hardware like Network Cards have similar drivers for different OS'es. Even I have an Ethernet card, and guess what, the same drivers work on Windows 98/98SE/ME/2000/XP (I've tested it on all of these).

What I was referring to is hardware like motherboards, grpahic cards, and such stuff. I don't think vista will be able to accept older drivers for them. You can try if you like, but I doubt it.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2006
  5. steve420

steve420 Member

ok i take back what i said then cause i know for a fact that vid cards sound card etc. dont work i have already delt with that but if you got an ati vid card or creative sound card your in luck cause they have vista drivers up already on there sites i dont know about nvidia since i dont own an nvidia card