1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP DVD mystery

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by katbatty, Sep 10, 2002.

1. katbatty

katbatty Guest

I have recently upgraded my WIN 98 to XP. PRoblem is now my DVD player doesn't work anymore!! I was told by microsoft support that I needed an updated, XP compatable decoder, but after reading a few threads, I just don't know if that's the case.. I've never had problems with the DVD player before. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

Need more information to assist

1. DVD rom drive make, model, speed.
    2. Software DVD player you are using.
    3. Hardware decoder (if present)
    4. does windows see the drive as DVD inside device manager? (Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager)

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Go to www.driverguide.com. Sign up and search for your dvd player. The dvd drivers supplied by Microsoft cause bad dvd problems.

If you are new to drivers/hardware and the like, don't worry. Its easy to install drivers. The should come as an exe file. run the exe file, it will install itself. If it doesnt after you reboot, right click My Computer. Click Hardware and then device manager.

Click cd-rom drives and double click on the drive you have problems with. click driver and re-install driver. Allow it to search for the drivers and when it finds them it will ask you if you wish to install them.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2002