1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP freezes on start up

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by cousin80, Jul 1, 2009.

1. cousin80

cousin80 Regular member

I seen a little tool on this site called Eusing Free Registry Defrag and decided to use it do defrag my registry. after I installed it and let it do its thing I restarted my computer. I am duel booting windows xp home and vista ultimate 64. I defragged the xp side then I restarted my computer, it asked me which os I wanted to boot from I picked XP it got to the xp logo then a black screen and just froze there. I tried to boot it in safe mode and the same thing happened, so I restarted my computer and booted in vista and everything works great. If anyone can point me in the right direction on how I can repair this that will be great.

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

3. cousin80

cousin80 Regular member

looks like I need to use the more complicated link. Is there a way I can copy the registry files by acessing the xp partition from the vista partition?

4. jony218

jony218 Guest

See if you can run a scandisk from within vista (with the boxes to fix errors checked on the xp partition). Or a chkdsk x: /f from the command box in vista (the x = the drive letter of the partition xp is installed. chkdsk and scandisk are the same thing. This can fix any file corruption and might get your computer to bootup again.

From what I read on the program it just makes the registry more compact and doesn't delete any entrys. Maybe the hard drive was still writing when it did the shutdown.

5. cousin80

cousin80 Regular member

Too late for that. I already did the steps in the links that you gave me and they worked. I just lost all of my drivers for some reason, no big deal I will just have to install them again. Thanks for the help.

6. alchemis

alchemis Member

hi
    i am having a similar problem with my computer except its a vista basic on a vostro 1400 laptop
    i go to logon and the login screen does not appear
    i tried to repair start up and restore to an earlier good config and nothing seems to work
    i am running out of options can someone please help me?
    i don't know where else to post so please help
    thanks