1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP Home gets black screen with active cursor after first windows loading screen??

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by kgusek, Aug 7, 2010.

1. kgusek

kgusek Member

Ive been googling this problem for a few hours already, and found quite a few people have had this problem. So far most of the posts i found seem to have been created by recently installed dlls/inis/hotfixes, and some are said to be caused by a corrupt registry or malware.

What happened was i took home an sd acer lcd monitor from work to replace my girlfriends old bulky crt display. once plugged in i went to adjust the resolution to 1152x768 (?i think?)the computer was lagging for a bit while i pressed ok to accept the resolution, and then totally froze up when i pressed ok to exit the properties window (including the mouse). i proceeded with a hard reboot, only directly after the xp loading screen (when the welcome screen is supposed to show) i get a totally black screen with an active cursor.

i tried last known good, safe mode, taking out the cmos battery (all of which recommended in other topics) still the same thing. i figure it might have something to do with not being able to load explorer. i also tried ctrl alt delete at the black screen, nothing happens.

i found this topic:
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/779364-solved-windows-wont-give-log.html

and the solution seems to be to use either the windows installation disc or a linux distro to delete recently created dlls/inis in system32, more specifically those with an "hs" attribute.

is this the way i should go to solve this, or is there a better solution?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what happens when you try safemode? what videocard is she using?

3. kgusek

kgusek Member

its some integrated ati, the pc is around 6 years old.. safemode shows the black screen with the cursor, but it has the white lettering around the edges like it normally does, and the cursor is bigger (lower resolution like safe mode does).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  4. kgusek

kgusek Member

Anyone?

5. tnt1125

tnt1125 Member

that happened to me, but I had two monitors hooked up and forgot one day and on start up all I had was a cursor showing on my main screen. Turned on the other monitor and there was my desktop.

6. kgusek

kgusek Member

Hah that doesn't help me though :p there's only 1 monitor plugged in and when I replace it with the old one I still have the same issue.. I guess I'm gonna get to deleting some random dlls and inis! :D