1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP Home or XP Pro - which is better for GAMES???

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by vertigo17, May 19, 2004.

1. vertigo17

vertigo17 Member

Hello,

I was wondering if someone can please let me know which is better for pc games - Windows XP Pro or Windows XP Home. I just would like to know which is more stable before I buy. Please help. The people at Best Buy can't help me.

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

Both are pretty much the same for games. XP Pro has more features than XP Home for networking and security. For examples of things that XP Pro has that XP Home doesn't have:
    Remote desktop for controlling the pc from another location
    Encrypting File System
    More networking options for connecting to a corporate network

Support for multiple processors - this might help some games if they support more than 1 processor and you want to go out and buy a second processor and motherboard that supports it

3. vertigo17

vertigo17 Member

thanks for the help

4. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

I use both pro and home...for networking purposes and etc... They both work fine for me. I don't think it'll create a huge problem if you installed either...
    HOped this helped...

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

lol neither -- run W2K or W2K3 -- if the game doesnt work -- it's not worth playing :p

6. john179

john179 Active member

xp pro is the one for the lot.xp home is everything without the extra's.You may as well have the lot as your paying for it.My only question is why do windows have to have two different versions of xp when they rip us off enough over the years.xp pro at xp home prices at least that is what we want.We know we will still be getting ripped off but hey we have to put money in Bill S_i_t_ pocket.

7. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

-- for the people who did buy XP-Home on their own -- they had a chance not to and for those who didnt have a choice (stupid OEM machines) -- blame Dell, HP, Compaq and the lot of them, not Microsoft cuz the OEM companies had a chance to put XP-Pro on there but they wanted to overcharge their machines yet even more by offering "an upgrade deal" for XP-Pro.

8. TMcCallie

TMcCallie Regular member

Praetor, you are exactly correct. Don't blame Bill S as one forum participant put it, Blame the company you bought it from.

Same thing goes for all the so called software they say they have installed on machine. They are all trial verisons now a days and you can get that youself off the web. Why do we need the Computer companies to tell us what we need anyway. Don't we think we are smart enough to figure it out.

As far as Bill S...(someone called him). If it was not for this brilliant man we would not be doing what we are today. Enjoying our computer.

I don't envy anyone for success. Just look at what he has invested compared to what you have invested. He can stand to loose billions, Can you?..................

So he has got billions, I don't grudge him of that. The only thing I regret is not buying stock in Microsoft when it was young.

Just think about this people.......

9. john179

john179 Active member

Yes i think i may have gone over the top a little bit the way i spoke about Bill.Iam not saying he has not done great things for the computer world far from it and i admire the way he went from working in a garage to a billion pound company.The guy is great in that respect but as you must be aware there are other's who would like to do the same but can not because of the size of this company now.It would be great to see other operating software on the market.I personally would stick with microsoft but it would be nice to have the option.In order for another company to do this it now has to be a billion pound company to do so.It is the same in the console world it has to be a billion pound company to take on the top dog's.We also have this exclusive to this console thing going on.Why can we not have all games comeing out on all console's.To get the best out of the gameing world you now have to purchse to console's or you miss out on the big games your children really want.

10. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

john179, not really.... there are some very good games on computer too you know.

And about Microsoft, they're not that bad, every company wants your money, and after all, if you're a big company, there will be haters.