1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xp install disc

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by rtrg, Feb 29, 2008.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

A friend of mine is building me a newer p3 tower and is planning on useing his xp disc to install the os. I will take care of the other programs. My question is, another person I know has a LEGITIMENT install disc with reg key attatched. This disc came with the system that his son in law purchased new. Is it correct that the son in law would have been required my MICROSOFT to register this disc and key in his name? The father in law says he has used this disc to install the OS on a number of towers that he repairs and sells. Can this be true? Wouldn*t MS generate an error messege when someone else uses that same key, other than the registered owner? Or is the registered key enough without ownership being revealed? He is offering me a copy of this disc WITH the attatched key included. In this case I would prefer to have and use this disc if I need to. I am thinking of upgradeing from WPM9 to WMP11. This can only be done with a LEGITIMENT copy of the disc. I will give the disc to my friend so he can install it on both towers. Is there a significant difference in features or performance between p9 and p11? Will p11 open web sites useing web adress as p9 is supposed to do but does not? Is there any other real advantage of useing a REAL(key) copy as opposed to a FAKE copy?

2. silk42

silk42 Regular member

You're not required to register with Microsoft. However, you are required to activate your copy of Windows XP with Microsoft. This is 2 different things. When you register, you actually give Microsoft personal information, such as your name, e-mail address, etc... When you activate, Microsoft will check it's database against the serial number entered and make sure it's valid. Most likely the disc that your friend is using is designed for enterprises. These discs don't require activation and they use a volume license serial number which is usually good for 1000's of computers.

Most likely you won't have any problem with the OS working, but it's definitely not legal. Microsoft has disabled volume license keys in the past, especially once they are easily obtained from the web. It's possible that this could happen with the serial number you're using and all of a sudden your computer won't be able to pass windows genuine advantage (WGA). I could see this happening when SP3 finally gets released later this year.

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

silk--- thank you for the info. I will pass it along to my tech friend who is building me a better p3 tower. when and if I get this disc I will keep it in storage in the event I need id or I might have my friend use it for this p3 he is building and maybe this one as well. My intent is to upgrade to P11 from P9 player. Can you tell me if p11 is significantly better than p9? Are other upgrades/updates available that are really nessecary or desireable?

4. silk42

silk42 Regular member

I assume you're talking about Windows Media Player 9 and Windows Media Player 11. The biggest difference that you'll notice is the interface. WMP 11 has done away with the toolbar, although you can add it back if you want. As for playback, I haven't really noticed much of a difference. Then again, I don't use media player very much.

5. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

silk--- Thank you again. Yes I am referring to WMP9 and 11. Until I am sure I can actually use this disc, either as a replacement or a back up for emergencies, I will leave well enough alone.