1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP Install instead of VISTA problems

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by smg, Jun 21, 2007.

1. smg

smg Regular member

HELP>> Everytime i try to send this thread it keeps getting deleted before I can finish typing it all out. My problem is very complictated so I will have to type this out in several sections. My ACER laptop (5570Z Series) is giving me problems. My OS is VISTA Home Premium.

2. smg

smg Regular member

My pc has 2 partitions on it (C and D). Each partition is approx. 50GB. The modem in my pc is an AGERE HDA modem.

3. smg

smg Regular member

Now for my 2 problems;
    I wanted to install my new XP Home (OEM) OS onto my pc and NOT have VISTA at all on it. And also wanted to have 100GB on only 1 partiton. So I reformatted the HDD (NTFS) and tried to delete the second partiton (D) so that I could incorporate its 50GB into the C partition and thus have only 1 HDD with 100GB. But the D partiton will not delete for me to allocate it into the C partiton in order for me to have a 100GB partition.

4. smg

smg Regular member

I was told by someone that since I only had RECOVERY disks of VISTA that the D partition was undeletable so that it would ensure that I would always be able to restore/reinstall my VISTA OS.

5. smg

smg Regular member

So i went ahead and installed XP Home onto the C partition and decided to settle for it only having 50GB instead of 100GB. XP installed without any problems. But now I had no modem (wasnt listed in Device Manager). So now I couldnt dial out to get onto the internet since I had no modem. I had to restore my pc back to VISTA to get my modem back. I downloaded and tried 2 different modem drivers from the ACER website when I had XP installed (hopeing this would resolve the problem and get my modem back). But neither driver worked. BTW, I used drivers that were for an XP OS since that was the OS I was using now (and not VISTA anymore). But still..no luck.

6. smg

smg Regular member

I forgot to mention that when I reformatted my hdd there was one other space of about 7GB if I remember correctly that was designated as RAW. I tried to delete this one also in order to use its space into the C partition also. I was able to delete it, but its space did not seem to get ADDED into the C partition. So I only ended up with my XP OS on a partition of only 50GB. And the D partition (which obviously had the VISTA OS on it) was always there and I could not get it deleted in order to add its GB to my C partiton (and thus have a 100GB partiton). And when I did get XP installed on the C partition, I lost my modem. What can I do about this (if anything)? Thanks to anyone for any help.
    :)