1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP Install

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Shayne, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Shayne

Shayne Member

I am planning to reformat my HP MCE 2005 computer, however I only have the recovery disks and would like to do a clean install of XP MCE. If I was able to get a copy of the XP MCE 2005 cds:
    1) Would the XP MCE serial sticker on my computer work with any copy of the OS?
    2) Would it be considered genuine software since the serial is legit? or does the non-legit copy of the OS make it not geniune?
    3) If my serial won't work with any copy of the OS, and I do manage to find a serial that will, what kinds of problems could this create as far as installing other microsoft stuff (i.e. windows defender, windows updates)?

2. DoubleDwn

DoubleDwn Regular member

1. Yes
    2. Yes, its legit.
    3. N/A due to answers 1 and 2.

You should have no problems. Wait...dont the recovery disks have the OS on them, or just the drivers/apps???

~Rich

3. Shayne

Shayne Member

The recovery disks do have the OS and the drivers on them, along with a bunch of other bloatware that I don't want. Thanks for the reply. Are you certain that I can use any copy of XP MCE 2005, even if it is borrowed or downloaded rather than purchased?

4. jremele

jremele Regular member

Yeah you can use it as long as you have youre own individual cd key(the one from the HP) thats all Microsoft Cares About--If you really want to kick it up a notch get a corporate edition of windows xp and then you can register it as many times an you want.

5. jremele

jremele Regular member

Yeah you can use it as long as you have youre own individual cd key(the one from the HP) thats all Microsoft Cares About--If you really want to kick it up a notch get a corporate edition of windows xp and then you can register it as many times an you want.

6. Shayne

Shayne Member

Thanks, I think I will stick with the XP Media Center though.