1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP Key

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by luch559, Nov 21, 2007.

1. luch559

luch559 Guest

I needed to reformat my computer so I got an xp cd from a friend and used it to reformat. I am now at the registration key part and I dont have one or remember it. Is there any way I can find it?

2. Zer0ink

Zer0ink Regular member

i think your out of luck on that one

some computers have the # on a sticker on the back

if you used quick format when you formated you could use the program "restoration" on the drive when its installed as a slave in another computer

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/Restoration/restoration.html

and if you knew what the file was called that stores the lic #

and if you like performing LONG shots

3. colw

colw Active member

Try SIW (system infomation for windows) look under licence tab

4. Nicklt

Nicklt Regular member

Just phone up windows and tell them you had to install a new motherboard because yours died, and that you need a new key, i've done that 4 times now. And they've given me a new key everytime.

5. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

or you could do it the old fashion way , buy the disk and you will have your key for your disk,

6. integraol

integraol Member

say you do that... now you have 2 copies of Windows going to the Microsoft server to download updates... won't they see that and Stop the first PC from downloading the new updates?

I know that with my Quickbooks, I installed... and every month or 2 i reformat and reinstall Quickbooks again, they see it trying to register... and after the 4th time I had to call and get a registration #, but they would not give it because they said it was already on too many pc's (even though I just reinsalled it 4 times on my own pc!).

7. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

why would you reformat quickbooks every month or 2? was there a problem? it would be unnecessary to do so.

as for windows, i dont think they will detect you using the same windows cd installation for 2 pcs because of the different cd keys. and even if you were to use 2 pc with the same cd keys, it would be very hard for them to notice,with all theese pirated XP keys going around on the internet, they will hardly notice yours.