1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP Media Center Recorded Movies to DVD

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by sakins, Sep 8, 2005.

1. sakins

sakins Guest

I've got an HP Media Center with Sonic DVD Record. That preloaded program was'nt working as well as I had hoped. Switched to Nero 6. Now I can decode, shrink, and burn which is great BUT, I have movies transferred from my Dish Network DVR to Media Center as 'Manual Record'. These movies are stored as "windows media center files' Does anyone know how to convert these to a file Nero will recognise? Also a two hour movie is about 6.5g what can I do to get it down to 4ish?
    Please Help I only got Two hours left on my DVR and Football season starts TONITE!!

2. neronut

neronut Regular member

Hi, NeroVision Express can decode DVR-MS files. Just drag & drop them into a new DVS-Video project and it should work well. It will convert them to Video OBject (VOB) format and beable to bun them on to DVD. As well they will be smaller as they will fit onto a DVD-5.

3. sakins

sakins Guest

Thanks for the response. I thought I tried that and I'm pretty sure I recieved an error message but I can't remember what that was. It may have been the file too large msg. Anyway I will try again this weekend.

4. sacflies

sacflies Member

sakins--I have been wondering how I could switch from Sonic to Nero for burning recorded TV in Media Center to DVD. How did you do this? Can you set up Nero to be used as the default burner software with Media Center? Or do you just go in and manually locate the recorded files on the hard drive and then use Nero to shrink and burn to DVD, etc. Thanks.

5. neronut

neronut Regular member

From the sounds of it you are using Media Center Edition 2005. I have 2004 but there should be no differene in their files. To use Nero you will have to do it manualy aince it does not intigrate with the MS interface like Sonic does. Do you know where the files are located? If you don't they should be under My Computer -> Shared Documents -> Recored TV. If my path is wrong (which it may be because I'm currently using a PC running Linux) then it is in one similar. When in doubt search for the file extention. In Nero the files should act like anyother video file, just 2-pass encoding might cause them to come out black, is so, change to one pass encoding, you won't notice much difference.

6. sakins

sakins Guest

scott
    actually I have MCE from late 2003, possibly the first edition. It doesn't seem to do ANYTHING effortlessly. Sonic does not recognise the files as it should. Nero won't open the files (not a valid extension error) and now I have downloaded DVR2WMV as someone suggested and last nights error was this version is not compatable with 2003 MCE. There HAS to be a way to do this, I just can't quite get there. Unfortunately I do not have internet at my house so all my downloads are by remote computer, yet one more wrench in my problems.

Steve

7. neronut

neronut Regular member

What version of Nero are you using? As a long stretch you could try renaming the files with an avi extention.

8. sakins

sakins Guest

I'm running 6.0 Nero. Nope renaming it didn't work either. I found a forum posting on the green button however which might be my problem. The very fist file I have been trying to work with was actually from HBO. Apparantly they also encode some of their movies as well. A few people are also having that problem, No postings about a fix yet though.
    OK, so now I will try a different movie and see how that goes.

Steve

9. neronut

neronut Regular member

10. JoeB

JoeB Member

Steve,
    You hit on the problem. HBO movies do not convert. Most other dvr-ms files do not have any probem if your using expressvision..
    Joe