1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP. "Minimize all" command. I give up

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by roger3125, Dec 22, 2005.

1. roger3125

roger3125 Regular member

I know there is a way in XP to minimize all the windows with one click or single command. The only way I know of won't work on my PC. It is to right-click on a blank part of the task bar. "Minimize All" should appear in a pop-up menu. Sadly it does not.

Another suggestion I was given is to click an icon that looks like a letter next to the START button. Again nada.

Suggestions welcome
    Happy Holiday All

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

On your keyboard -- next to the CTRL button - you have a **Microsoft Windows** button --- HOLD It in.. and click the letter m --there minimized --- do the same with letter M and they will pop back up !

Good Luck

Gawd. I cant spell -- Edited for a Typo ! Grrrrrr !!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2005
  3. roger3125

roger3125 Regular member

HOLLY CAT FISH Batman....it was as simple as that Jean!!!?

I oftened wondered what that Windows key did. Never touched it as I thought it would just set off a bunch of Windows commercials. Now how can I remember this little trick. Windows Key+M (for minimize)

Wind + M Wind + M Wind + M Wind + M Wind + M Wind + M

OK got it.

Does that same windows key have any other function? Another thing that has driven me half crazy about my PC (was a Mac fan for years) is what purpose do the F keys have. I've learned that when on Ebay I can renew by simply hitting F5...but what about the other 11?

A big thanks coming your way Jean. Merry Christmas

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

<<<smiles>>> -- you have it cockeyed -- small m for minimize -- large M for popping it back !

Ok the Function Keys they called -- F1 F2 ... blah.. blah.

Well they all useful -- here's a little list for you I made :-

F1 -- Help Menu in Explorer or (+WindKey) Help for Windows

F2 -- Highlight a file or folder press F2 = RENAME

F3 -- Working in Windows, the F3 key will open the SEARCH menu.

F4 -- Opens the address in Explorer

F5 -- REFRESH Key in Explorer - Check Mail in Outlook

F6 -- Will unhide taskbars

F7 -- is reserve for Programming

F8 -- Safe Mode if pressed during the computer’s boot up process

F9 -- is reserve for Programming

F10 -- activate the menu bar in many programs. With shift Key
    brings the menu.

F11 -- In Internet Explorer and the window will open to full
    Screen Mode

F12 -- is reserve for Programming

Those are general use for those function keys -- BUT you will find that they have other uses when you working in a different application like Words -- specially if you use them with ALT,CTRL.Shift or WinKey.

Have a good day !

GRrrrrr.. edited for one typo !

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2005
  5. roger3125

roger3125 Regular member

Thanks Jean...you are my new champion. Looks to me like the grand meaning of the F keys was very uneventful. I see litle purpose in using them except for F5 and F8, but then again what do I know. You use them much?

<<you have it cockeyed -- small m for minimize -- large M for popping it back>>
    Funny on my PC it minimizes all with Wind+m and to open the file I have to click its name in the task bar. Whatever I now can use it and I thank you.

Is there a shortcut for making the taskbar disappear? (or go below screen level). I understand to make it reappear I need only to click the botom of the desktop.

I'm learning, with your help alot faster than otherwise.

6. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Right click the taskbar --- Click Properties -- and on the menu -- tick Auto-Hide the taskbar .

The taskbar will dissapear until you move your cursor to the bottom of the screen -- that will make it pop up !

7. roger3125

roger3125 Regular member

To JeanC1: OK OK who is this really? Is this Bill Gates?

You really know windows and if you don't mind I'm going to pick your brain...but not until afte Christmas as I know you are busy.

Giving you more thanks and wishing you a Merry Christmas

8. roger3125

roger3125 Regular member

Well you can see how well I keep my promises. Sorry.

For you this should be an easy one...and to me less than obvious. How do you open and leave on the desktop more than one site and/or picture.

Example: Using "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" I open one jpg file, leave it open and open a second Jpg file. Expecting them both to be on the desktop. Instead the second simply replaces the first.

I'm beginning to realize how little I know.