1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xp not fast, vista is like lightning

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by p1r473, Jun 24, 2007.

1. p1r473

p1r473 Member

ok so i have 2 hard drives in my computer, a 250gb which has xp pro on it, and an 80gb which has vista ultimate on it
    now when im running vista it takes a decent time to start up but it has lots of problems for instance when i start up theres no vista logo but it still makes the sound, when i enter my password instead of it loading vista desktop it loads my documents and a black back ground, so i close my documents, press ctrl alt delete and then click on file, run, and type in explorer.exe and then run it and then vista loads fully, and then even then the computer is still fairly slow so i thought running xp i could do some performance mods and stuff to make it even faster then vista..so i installed xp on the 250gb i have in here and when it was done installing and everything it loads in about 30 seconds or faster so it kicked the crap out of vista for boot up..BUT now this is the main problem..when i load msn and then try to go on cam the computer crashes..and when i drag a window with the task manager open on the performance tab it shows 100% usage of my cpu when i move a window side to side and it goes in blocks like its in one place then BAM in another place when i drag it its not smooth..anyone know why its not working well?
    i have 1gb of ram so thats not the problem
    and im no duel booting, im running 2 separate hard drives and i unhook the one and plug the other one in to use xp or vista

thanks for any help
    -Ben

2. cyberv

cyberv Member

Stop Using MSN and start Using Yahoo LOL.
    Just a Joke

3. theVerve

theVerve Member

Did you check on the Processes tab in Windows task manager to see which process is using the 100% of the CPU cycles?

What other softwares are installed in XP?

Does it happen only when you run msn mesenger? or only when you try to use the webcam? If it is after you use the webcam you can check again by using MovieMaker to capture videos on your webcam and save it on your pc. If the CPU usage spikes up to 100% then the webcam drivers are causing the problem. I had experienced something like that with my A4tech web cam, the file VM303_STI.exe that comes with the drivers spike up to 100 on occasions, playing videos, looking at pictures etc. I guess it might be infected by a virus or it is conflicting with another running process 'cuz when I reinstalled windows XP the problem went away.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  4. reader34

reader34 Regular member

I had enough of vista last nite, i have a fairly fast pc, very up 2 date, and god the problems i had! Went bk to xp pro and was stable as ever, only thing im slightly worried about is dx10, am i going to miss out at this point in time?.

5. varnull

varnull Guest

6. elk1007

elk1007 Regular member

I'm having this problem:

Switched from vista to xp and now my system seems more unstable.
    Which sucks, because I now have almost 2.5 gigs of free ram during heavy work @_@

Anything that could cause xp to go unstable'?

7. reader34

reader34 Regular member

Thanks for link :D Dont need vista at the moment woop woop