1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP or Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by jaki54321, Jul 16, 2008.

1. jaki54321

jaki54321 Guest

Hello, I am running windows XP, i used to have vista

neway, here is my problem:

I used to have Vista, and I somehow found my old doom collectors edition floppies!!!!!!!!

So, i popped the floppies in and they installed with all 4 floppies, great! So i started the game and it came up with an error,"The system does not support fullscreen mode", bummer, odd error...

So i decided to go to vista because I loved this game since i was little! as usual, it installed, but this time, it played! I had so much fun for HOURS with my friends on nightmare that day! So i just kicked back with XP. However, today, i was looking for where i can buy doom 2, and i found 2 solutions with fixing the vista error, 1, putting in a dll file called "dpwsock.dll", with was replaced on vista by "dpwsockx.dll". Also, i found that DosBox runs it because i tried it on my friends vista computer and it worked!

So, vista has dreamscene, and XP doesnt, and i dont feel like hacking to get dreamscene, also, Fraps records desktop on vista because it uses directX on Aero.

I own windows xp SP2 and i own windows vista ultimate. And i want to switch back to vista, but at the same time, i dont...

So, what do you all think??? Should i switch back, or stick with XP

???

2. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

see my other post about dual booting with XP and vista... seems you're in a similar dilemma...

I say that if I'm right and you can use 2 HDD's with 2 Operating systems without any problems, then you should buy yourself a second HDD and install both XP and Vista!

3. dethclown

dethclown Member

I agree, dual booting is great. I dual boot vista x64 and XP x64.
    just make two partitions and install one on each. A good program
    to resize and create multiple partitions is Partition Magic 8.0