1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP People, FEAR the Daemon Tools!!

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by cats7, Feb 11, 2004.

1. cats7

cats7 Guest

Unless your XP is made of steel and you're not running any other programs (I mean none, zero), learn the lesson I should have learned from all those before me, but was too stubborn to pay attention. I just spent about 4 hours rebuilding registries and reinstalling software after Daemon tore through my system like a Kansas tornado. Consider yourselves warned!!

2. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

Sounds like the fun i have with alcohol 120%.

Bailey

3. cats7

cats7 Guest

Really? I can only think of one thing worse: having to pay for a program and then rebuild the registries (i.e., Alcohol). The only reason I tried Daemon was to mount an image on the virtual drive so Shrink could compile 2 discs into 1 (I only have one DVD drive). Surely, there's an emulator out there that doesn't tear the guts out of XP?!

4. RNF1968

RNF1968 Regular member

I have XP Pro on my Dell desktop and Gateway notebook and have been using Daemon for about a year now. I cant say I have had any problems. Works great. I use it often to load BIN files so I can either intall software from my server or play games that require the CD. Odd how some people have problems and some dont. Good ole MS WINDOWS!!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2004
  5. Nunyo

Nunyo Member

Hmmmmm I have both Alcohol and Daemon installed on my XP Pro system and have absolutely no problems what-so-ever.

6. Bazzarips

Bazzarips Guest

i don't know what you did but i have NEVER had a problem like that with daemon tools and i use it all the time

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I'm running XP Pro and Daemon works a treat. No problems at all. This is the first time I've ever heard Daemon ruined a system.

8. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I have a feeling that what happened was probably a software conflict of some kind. Until recently I had Daemon Tools installed and working with no problems, as it has the entire time I've used XP. Since I have a 40GB drive for nothing but CD images, I've used it regularly for almost 3 years, first on Windows 2000 and 98 and then on XP. About a month ago I installed Yahoo Messenger and the next time I rebooted Windows crashed while it was starting. After booting into safe mode I determined that it was crashing when Daemon Tools tried to load. As soon as I stopped having Daemon Tools load at startup Windows was fine.

Fortunately I also have Alcohol 120% on that system so I decided it was easier to just get rid of Daemon Tools instead of taking the time to track down the problem, but in my experience weird software conflicts like this aren't terribly uncommon with XP. Just one of several things that make me prefer Windows 2000 for reliability. Unfortunately, having the terminal server in XP Pro is important for me so I'll keep on using it.

Edit: I still use Daemon Tools on 3 other XP boxes and have yet to run into any problems.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Learn AviSynth The Easy Way: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/avisynth_tutorial.cfm
    Afterdawn Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/
    Afterdawn Rules: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2004
  9. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

I'm running XP, and, I had to switch from Daemon over to Alcohol. I haven't tried newer versions of the Tools, but, the one I tried last year didn't mount images correctly. There was always 1 fine, apparently chosen at random, that was corrupt and couldn't be read. But the same images loaded by Alcohol didn't have the corrupted file problem. BUT Alcohol has its own problem. :) I've had to stick with the previous version 1.4.7 because 1.4.8 does not properly mount audio CD images. They appear as 0 byte, devoid of files drives on 1.4.8.

10. LocutusDT

LocutusDT Member

@cats7: every Software can contain bugs, but instead of complaining HERE it would be nice to report the bugs
    to US! In the past, it often (nearly every time)
    turned out to be a conflict with other (buggy) drivers.
    (f.e. Roxio). Yes, we try to find workaround for every
    problem.

At least it isn't fair to complain here as if we are
    the devil. Noone knows exactly, what your system ruined.
    Next time, try to contact us so we can make Daemon Tools
    better. Feel free to sign up at our portal and be
    welcomed to criticize us. But serious and fair, please
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]resistance is futile[/small]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2004
  11. brobear

brobear Guest

I've been seeing this problem over and over. This sounds more like people are having problems with system overload. Daemon can be memory intensive if you leave a file loaded. Say you fire up the old PC and Daemon is still loaded with a big 8 GB video file. Just think of the load.

Unless necessary, all programs not needed should be eliminated from startup. Work them manually and your CPU will breath a sigh of relief.

Daemon has resided on my PC and I don't worry about unloading it until I go to reuse it. My system is set up for huge loads. Have never had a problem. I hear a lot of complaints and come to find that the computers have low CPU, Ram capacity. The faster the CPU and higher the RAM capacity, the fewer problems people have with video recording software.

12. zraider

zraider Member

'Just a helpful suggestion, for any user. Backup, backup, backup !!! It sounds real redundant, but I back up my whole drive with Ghost a couple of times a week, and backup my registry (Win XP) daily. I write these to a DVD once a week (well, C & D drives, plus the registry files). I've just lost too much to take any chances of losing anything. I thought I was really smart, and had a 250GB external drive that I kept my ghost images and just about everything else backed up on. I let someone else use my PC late one night, and I don't know exactly what happened, but my
    SCSI drives were wiped the next morning; when I attempted to access my external drive, it started making a 'clunking' sound, and I found I couldn't access it. When I took the cover off that drive, I burned my hand on it, it was so hot.
    So, now I back up to DVD's every week too, plus having a large back up drive that's internally mounted and properly cooled.
    Regarding the daemon tools, I haven't had any problems so far, but my fingers are crossed.

13. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

Yeah, eventually you learn real quick to start taking the system images. I've been doing it since 1997, back when it had to span across 4 CD's! LOL DVD sure makes it easier. Also, if there are apps you are always reinstalling when you do a whole system reinstall, then, once you get them all installed with basic data, take an image of the system at that point and keep it around. Then, all you have to do is install updates after restoring or, like I do, make new discs whenever a reinstall has to be done, updating the installed apps and reimaging again.

I have 7 online live backup images, one for each day of the week. Then, on the 28th day of each month, whatever backup was done then, is the image that gets copied to a bootable DVD with the necessary restore tools and other assorted common DOS repair tools.

Last edited: May 28, 2004