1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xp pro on new hd?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bojan087, Nov 24, 2006.

1. bojan087

bojan087 Regular member

i have 2 brand new 150gb western ditial ide, and a 200gb maxtor ide hard drive, both of them have been formated as a slave drive, each seperately, but when i try to install xp on them, neither drives can load by them selfs either in master or single mode. they need to have the primary drive with them, so running 2 hd's at the same time. than when i boot up the computer i get a message asking between which 2 windows xp professional i want and i have like 25 seconds to decide and both of them work, one with the primary data on it, and the other with the new installation. so im not sure what to do from this point on, on getting the slave drive to work by its self. sry this might be confusing, but if you dont understand something i'll try to make it a bit more clear, thanks

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

wd hd's have to have the jumper removed to be used as a single drive whereas other manufacturers use the master if being used as a single drive.

3. bojan087

bojan087 Regular member

nvm i got that problem fixed, now i have a new problem. When ever i start my computer before windows get to load, it gives me two options, one is to Load windows xp professional, and right underneath of that is Load windows xp professional, and i can choose which i want to load. If i select the first one i get an error, if i choose the 2nd one it loads fine, so my question is how do i get rid of the first menu "load windows xp pro" so my computer can load straight up without pushing anything. I tried to push f8 but couldnt find anything helpful maybe i missed something

4. ddp

check boot.ini

5. bojan087

bojan087 Regular member

is that under bios?

6. ddp

no, i think in msconfig