1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP Pro or XP Media Center??? which is best

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by rm7065, Jan 6, 2006.

1. rm7065

rm7065 Member

I currently have windows xp pro sp2 on my computer, and I am looking to buy a laptop which is 10x faster than my desktop. It will have a P4 3.6GHZ HT, 2MB L2, 800MHZ FSB, 100GB HD, DVD BURNER, 3GB RAM, NVIDIA GEFORCE 7800GTX 256MB VIDEO CARD, with a choice of an internal TV Tuner/recorder with remote control, but then it asks me if I wanted the one for XP Pro or the One for Media Center edition which will cost me an xtra 100 dollars (no big deal). I am using this PC tipically for multi tasking, and to decommission my desktop. I will be doing school work, Moderate Gaming (BF2, DOOM 3, FEAR), DVD Burning, Photo and Video Editing (lots of it), music downloading with an alternate wireless hook-up to send the signal to my home stereo receiver, record some tv shows....pretty much lots of everything. I have heard that Media Center is right for the entertainment part of it, but that it will have compatibility issues with Games.....is that true? or bs? Can someone give me a bit of advice as to which O.S. i will be better off with?

2. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

Basicaaly media center IS xp pro but it has some more stuff like extra themes media player 10 as standard and of course the media center program itself.

also media center seems to cost less than pro which makes no sense to me but oh well

id say media center is probably the better of the two

3. rundata

rundata Guest

Yesss..... Well aa sypher said it IS XP just with a few extra features so yeah go with it. BUT how on gods earth your computer is 10x slower than the new one your going to buy i will never know... you are suggesting that you have a 10 gb hdd, 80mhz fsb 0.2mb l2 cahce etc dont say things you dont mean

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Didn't know you could fit a 7800 card into a laptop! Do you need a shoe horn? What about heat issues, will a laptop have the ventilation required to keep that card cool?

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

rundata

You need to remove the foul language from your sig immediately. You also need to read the forum rules before posting again - you get three strikes with me and you just used one of them.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  6. rundata

rundata Guest

done.

7. rm7065

rm7065 Member

Thanks guys.. yeah my desktop is like an IBM APtiva AMD K6 400mhz, 8gb hd, 256mb ram, 100mhz fsb, a real drag.
    the laptop is a Sager....dont know how the Gtx 7800 will fit in there but im glad its there.