1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP Pro vr XP Pro 64 edition

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by radracing, Mar 21, 2009.

1. radracing

radracing Guest

Hi I've build a new computer ecs G31t-m mobo intel e2140. 4gb menory.
    I have a xp pro and a xp pro 64 edition what is the differance between the two?

2. GenesisX

GenesisX Member

Well, in your case, you should lean towards using the 64 bit edition.

So, what is the difference between the 64 bit and its 32 bit counterpart?

Well, the answer is simple and quite straight forward: One is 64 bit and the other is 32 bit. What does this mean? Well, the first thing that comes to mind is that more than 4GBs of ram can now be addresses at a time with the 64 bit edition. That is not posibe with the 32 bit.

You have a 64 bit processor (E2140), and 4 GBs of ram; might as well, right?

however, may I recommend to you to use a Vista 64 bit instead. I rememeber reading somewhere that a 64 bit Vista performs 23%? better than an XP counterpart. If you have Windows 7, that's even better!

If someone can verify my information, that'd be all the better, right!?

I hope I helped you there,

GenesisX

3. radracing

radracing Guest

will it be ok to run 64 on one computer and 32 on my other computer in my home network

4. varnull

varnull Guest

we have talked about 32 and 64 bit systems before. Personally I found xp-64 is a waste of time.. very few drivers and hardware support is godawfull .. it's like an afterthought OS.

fista.. wouldn't touch that spyware/drm riddled unstable crap with a bargepole.. believe.. if it was freeware it would have no users because it isn't good enough.

best options for 64 bit os right now are sabayon and the 64studio variant of debian.. both are sleek and fast.

and finally.. no.. on a network you can run anything as far as an os goes.. I have various hardware running all kinds of operating systems.. 32 and 64 bit.. scattered across my homenet.. everything but M$ "products" that is.