1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xp pro will not boot up

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by chetrick8, Jul 13, 2009.

1. chetrick8

chetrick8 Member

i have a home built cpu. i know nothing about it other than it has windows xp professional. yesterday i hit the button to shut it down. today i went to go on it and it will not boot up. it goes to the screen that says it was improperly shutdown and it gives me a choice of how i want to boot up. such as safe mode, safe with command, safe with network or boot up regularly. none of these choices do anything. when i pick one it restarts then goes right back to the same screen. it does not matter which one i pick. i have no idea whatto do. any suggestions?

2. jodav

jodav Regular member

Hi chetrick8

You need a copy any XP disc, (borrow one if you dont have one), boot up to it, select Repair using the recovery console option. when in the recovery console type the following command with the spaces,

chkdsk C: /R

this will run a check on your system and will take some time to finish. Once its finished you should be back to normal.