1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP quick luanch, browser links issues

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by yanksno1, Oct 23, 2008.

1. yanksno1

yanksno1 Member

I recently reformatted my PC to Windows XP Pro SP3 and have been experiencing a strange problem. It seems after using it for a while (about 2 hrs or so) sometimes the computer will start acting strange. All of the sudden the quick launch button doesn't repsond, and if I click on a link inside Firefox 3.0.3 it will download. If I close everything and log out and then log in again it works fine like it should. Is there anything I can do to fix this issue? I'm not even sure what to search for.

2. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

"recently reformatted my PC to Windows XP Pro SP3"

What was the previous Windows version and service pack before the reformatting? Complete clean reinstall?

3. yanksno1

yanksno1 Member

It was Windows XP Pro SP3 as well, just updated over time. I should say this is a new copy, so perhaps something is wrong with this copy. Is there any type of settings I can look for w/o reinstalling everything?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  4. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

Need more info. Did your PC run properly immediately after the new OS installation? For how long? After reinstalling some of your programs? Why did you reformat and reinstall in the first place? Could your machine have become infected with malware? Is your copy of XP Pro a valid registered copy?
    Make a checklist and try to narrow down what has changed since the last time your PC ran properly.