1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP repair

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Mez, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Mez

Mez Active member

After replacing the motherboard my drive will not fully boot up. I get to pick a user but the system re-boots even in safe mode.

I do not think the mobo has anything to do with the problem since my spare C: was set up on the old mobo. I put in a spare C: and I can view and access the old C: so the partition must be OK I am running chkdsk /r right now. It did have at least one error. I replaced the boot sector but none of these things helped.

Any suggestions?

2. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Replacing a motherboard usually means replacing your OS. Unless the replaced motherboard is the exact same brand and model its easier to save any data, format the drive, and re-install windows.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Deadrum is right so safe your info & reload from scratch.

4. Mez

Mez Active member

Thanks but no thanks. You were not paying attention. I have a spare "clean" drive vs the old drive that has some "black art" stuff on it. The spare drive runs OK. I got the same brand board. When I went to re-load/repare the utilities the installer stated everything was just fine.

What I failed to mention is a few year back I ran a disk optimizer on that old disk. What ever it did that disk runs very fast. The utility was made for that class of drives not made anymore. It is an ultra fast disk and may have had some special features to really speed it up. That utility is lost. They do not offer that utility any more I looked for years and have given up. The performance of my computer with any other disk is half what it is with that disk. I can double the clock speed of the CPU into 'the red zone' and the computer still runs slower. If I format it I will lose a great deal of performance. Every now and then I need to edit videos. That requires a fast disk. With the slower disk editing is painfully slow and often fails.

If I reformat, I will lose performance. It was a high speed Barracuda. I want to fix it not format it. I will need to spend a grand for a new computer but my budget barely supported the new mobo.

5. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Either me and a neutral 3rd party were having the same delusion, or you didnt explain your real problem very well.

I've never heard of a software program that makes a hard drive faster. I've flashed the firmware of mechanical and solid state disks from a DOS prompt using a USB or floppy, but never just run a program. It sounds like a windows cleaner or registry cleaner. What was its name? I will help you find it. I am curious.

6. ddp

neutral, me??? never!!!!

7. Mez

Mez Active member

I do not even remember. It was written by Seagate. It may have been datalife guard but I do not think so. It tweaked the DMA and augmented its memory buffer with computer RAM..

8. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  9. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

what a pointless discussion.. I have seagate's data lifeguard on a tools disk.. it's no more than a data backup md5 checksum thing

anyway.. new mobo means full new set of mobo drivers need installing at the very minimum.. and then I bet winslow will still be fooked because hal.dll will be wrong overlay and ntoskrnl will have all the wrong settings and drivers crammed in there...

10. Mez

Mez Active member

Again, the second drive works fine the mobo was as close to the old one as I could get. More likely a windoz thing. In fact I know it is a Windoz thing I created a boot log this evening. Deadrum it was a very fast disk for when I got it, by adding extra memory buffer it was fast. Maybe I will have to purchase a new fast disk. You all got me thinking. I think the new mobo will handle SATA II that ought to be much faster than what I have.

Thanks for getting me thinking -

11. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Before buying anything, at least try the steps that we all think might help. Save the data from that drive. Reformat. re-install windows.
    I mean if gonna buy a new one anyway, whats the harm?

12. ddp

what board do you have to see if can handle sata2 ok or not?

13. ddp

what board do you have to see if can handle sata2 ok or not?

14. Mez

Mez Active member

It is a Gigabyte it handles SATA 2 actually 6 of them.

I have so much stuff on that drive I am not going to format it. Save the data where? All my drives are full or full enough. I probably have 800 gs of stuff I want on it. I am not throwing it away. I will format it when my new drive is up and running and I put all the stuff from my old drive on the new drive. I ran a chkdsk on it and the disk is fine probably the registry is screwed up. I have backed it up as late as maybe a month ago.

15. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

as far as the hard drive being faster than what you'd expect, I've heard of running speed analysis on a disk, taking note of where the throughput is speediest, and then "chopping" the hard drive partition table to get fastest performance. Using this method will lose space. hddtach is a good tool to determine the throughput, but i dont know how to chop the partition up. Also, someone at the site remarked about still using the leftover space, just making extra partitions.

16. Mez

Mez Active member

You cut it in half that is all. Smaller partitions are a bit faster. It made a real difference with the old FAT tables. The newer File allocation system is not as sensitive.

As I am building the new disk I remembered why building a disk was a bad idea. I have several applications that I had yearly subscriptions for years. I stopped subscribing but they still worked. I reinstalled them using the same files that had worked. They want me to pay again. I still don't know why they continued to still work after the subscription expired. Was it a mistake of did they just give me a break after subscribing for so long. I have two of those neither work on the new disk.

17. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

usually the reason things keep working after you stop paying is they stop updating.. but subscription software is usually pretty garbage and there are by now better freeware alternatives knocking about.

one thing people learn as soon as they get used to computers and how totally crap M$ software is.. use a good partitioner.. puppy linux can read and write natively to ntfs.. allows moving files.. my trick is.. (without changing major components.. a hdd isn't a major component, a mobo is) to move the contents.. saved data or whatever.. if theres space I move the lot.. to somewhere like \backup\full .. then delete anything left lurking (winsleep ain't running so there shouldn't be anything except that directory left).. do hardware repairs..or whatever.. make a non booting partition large enough to take the whole directory.. with some left over... then if it's a different drive copy it all back (note.. move and copy aren't the same thing.. move changes the file table.. takes no extra space.. copy makes a physical copy taking up more space) set partition primary and bootable.. and it usually works.. but not after a mobo change..

bloody windoze.. I booted a quad system a few weeks ago from a slackware hdd installed on a p3 .. windoze is really rubbish.

18. Mez

Mez Active member

Yes they stopped the updates but on both but both were audio apps. Big deal nothing to update. One was a ripper. The internet tag database was left on. That is a big deal. On for ever!

I can't argue with M$ being rubbish.

19. Rumor

Rumor Member

Did you happen to try rebooting with the O.S. disk and don't select repair right away. Wait until it comes up for selecting the drive to install new O.S. Select the partition you have your XP on and click next. It will then ask you if you want to completely erase that partition or repair it. Select R for repairing it and it will check your system for and missing system files and correct your registry at the same time. Try this before having to re-format your drive. Afterwaed if it still does it., try safe mode again. If you can get on without it restarting back up go to system in control panel and see if your hardware has any problems. There will be and red x of a yellow question mark by that device. Investigate and try solving the problem. If unable to get on, try unplugging all your devices except your hard drive. This will at least eliminate a hardware problem. Rick

20. Mez

Mez Active member

No, XP does not detect any primary partition I tried that before I started this thread. I think it is the actual indication that it is a primary disk that is corrupt. I used a utility that creates and allow you to view partition info. That partition was not marked as either primary or logical and I couldn't access it. I have purchased a bigger faster drive and that drive was pretty junkie but that one has some apps that I want that I can't install any more.

No need to re-format. The formatting is fine.