1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP Service Pack 2 error

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by migTMC, Sep 26, 2009.

1. migTMC

migTMC Member

Hello, I have had to reinstall XP Pro Service Pack 1 (as that is the only XP CD I have) due to a real bad worm infection, which I made a thread about in the approriate forum some two weeks ago. I went to the microsoft website and first downloaded Service Pack 2 for Windows XP Professional, x64 Edition and when I tried to install it I got a message saying the file is corrupt, about half through the installation (after about 10secs only). I then went and downloaded Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (32-bit x86) and when I tried to install that a message appeared saying "The version of windows you have installed does not match the update you are trying to install". I had XP Service Pack 2 the last four years and don't know how I updated to it from SP1.

Please help me in updating to SP2, much appreciated

2. rayals

rayals Regular member

Why not try Windows update?

3. migTMC

migTMC Member

Updates have come, but no SP2 update. Can I ask specifically for Windows update to download SP2?

4. rayals

rayals Regular member

5. migTMC

migTMC Member

That is a link to Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers. It states:
    This installation package is intended for IT professionals and developers downloading and installing on multiple computers on a network. If you're updating just one computer, please visit Windows Update.

I'm not installing this on more than one computer. Does it matter? Should I use this version of SP2 anyway?

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

just tried another site & it was going to download same version as rayals linked to. can update to sp3 skipping sp2 as long as you have sp1 & all updates installed.

7. rayals

rayals Regular member

You used to be able to download it, but since SP3 I guess they killed that link. You will get it or SP3 through your Windows Updates.

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

SP3 is cumulative so it includes SP1,SP2,SP3,find SP3 at microsoft downloads or any other 3rd party download site & you should be set.or do as others have suggested but use windows update instead & select custom on the website,you'll find other updates there as well that auto update doesn't download & yes you can individually down each

9. migTMC

migTMC Member

Thanks you guys, much appreciated. Will try to get SP2 if I can, but will go for SP# if have to. I do get a message saying my XP Pro is not genuine and that seems to stop me from viewing which updates are available on the microsoft website