1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP Service Pack 3

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by jmcole, May 25, 2008.

1. jmcole

jmcole Regular member

DO NOT INSTALL THIS UPDATE!!!

I got the microsoft update for Windows XP (service pack 3) on my desktop this morning. It kept restarting and restarting all day. Finally I stopped it and had to recover my hard drive.

Something is wrong with this service pack.

2. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Maybe there is something wrong with you. I have SP3 on all 3 of my computers and I had NO issues.

3. aldan

aldan Active member

me too.dont always blame microsuck for everything.this update has worked flawlessly for me.ie 8 on the other hand,well im going back to ie7.lol

4. DFL

DFL Member

Take it easy guys, jmcole is right. This is a known bug, but seems to affect only HP machines with AMD processors. There appears to be a fix by going into SafeMode and changing a registry setting. Just Google to find exact fix.

5. jmcole

jmcole Regular member

Thanks DFL.
    I wish I would have known about the problem with HP with AMD before I clicked that continue button.

6. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I did not mean to sound harsh with my post. I assumed it was a user built computer instead of store bought.

Good looking out -DFL- with the sig specs in -jmcole- sig. I dont look at peoples sigs so I missed that he/she had an HP.

good luck BTW -jmcole- and post back if you fixed this issue so that if others have the same issue they know how to fix this.

7. jmcole

jmcole Regular member

Thanks again DFL. I chatted with HP on my laptop (since the desktop was inop). They gave me the fix for the problem, SP37394.exe. I had to uninstall the sp3, run the fix, then reinstall sp3. It works great.

Why couldn't they have posted the fix earlier?