1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xp shutdown problem

Discussion in 'Resource center' started by oldy, May 21, 2005.

1. oldy

oldy Member

i have an atx power supply with xp installed and i get the message its now safe to switch off the computer and have to switch it off manually by holding down the off button for 4 seconds how do i make the thing turn itself off like it should do, any ideas thanks

2. KJK!LL£R

KJK!LL£R Regular member

I have the same problem with my windows xp! When i try to shut it down or restart it it just freezes at the windows is shutting down message! How can i fix this?

3. akuma96

akuma96 Member

did you get the new update for xp ..because i had the same promblem .and it could be your bios setting

4. ceja_11

ceja_11 Regular member

Check your power options in your control pannel.

5. KJK!LL£R

KJK!LL£R Regular member

do u know what my power options should be for me to avoid this problem?

6. KJK!LL£R

KJK!LL£R Regular member

Plz help me because i cant install important updates on my computer because it isn't shutting down or restarting properly!

7. Whisperer

Whisperer Regular member

KJK!LL£R
    When Windows shuts down, it has to save all your settings and stop all running "Services". Sometimes this takes a half minute or more. You are giving it a chance at this much time right?

I don't know your level of experience and don't mean to be condescending but using the on/off button on your computer (even though you see it as a last resort) is not a good thing since data files and running programs and .dll files etc. that are in RAM, and require a proper close out themselves, can become corrupted from this radical action and may not work anymore or develop gliches. Have you checked Microsoft's Support Knowledge base using a keyword search of "shutdown" or "shut-down" or "hangs on shutdown" etc, etc. Be sure you are in the right section for your Windows OS version. Also one of your background programs may be causing the hang (antivirus, firewall, video drivers etc) or a program that isn't made to run on XP or 2000 or whatever version Windows you have. You could check the vendor's sites for fixes or updates too.

My overall suggestion is to solve the shutdown problem first before you do some damage. Then go back to using the computer for backing up movies.

Best regards,
    Whisperer

Last edited: May 25, 2005
  8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you load your board drivers or did you let xp load it's own drivers??

9. pezzer

pezzer Member

Hi,
    What service pack are you running?

I actually had a smiliar problem with my old PC when i installed XP, and in my particular case the problem was the old CD-Rom drive and for some reason this was not finishing its jobs so windows could not shut down. Then I realised that if i opened the cd tray and closed it again xp would shut down properly. I'm not saying that this is the case with your pc but its worth a try.

Also did this just start to happen?

Thanks

10. munx

munx Regular member

ya i had a similar problem on my 2000 machine few years ago, and i came to the conclusion that it was my cheapo mobo and my power supply just not getting along right. ive upgraded since and never a problem.

11. f00dl3

f00dl3 Guest

Why would you want to update Windows XP? All the updates give you is spyware "dubbed Windows Media Digital Rights Management", and an annoying automatic updates that gives you less control over your computer and Microsoft more control over what you do on your computer.

Switch to Linux. At least for non-gaming usage.

12. oldy

oldy Member

i have since solved my friends problem by updating his power settings in windows xp. a lot of suggestions in this thread are very good and sound advice,it can take a long time to find out exactly what is makeing the computer stay on the its now safe to turn off your computer. the same friend had another computer that did not support advanced power management in windows xp even with the updates from microsoft, but i suspect his problem will be cured buy a bios upgrade. many boards we buy may have a bios which although new is not up to date thus causing such problems. so the morell is to make sure all harware has the most upto date bios available or drivers. thanks for all who contributes to this matter

13. Walking

Walking Guest

check the all hardware if it isnt working
    and just update for all