1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP SP2 oddiets and more

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ZippyDSM, Jun 21, 2006.

1. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

This is conteniued from one of the enws thereads that got closed *L*

I even used edonkey on dailup it could find alot of connections but as bound to the limit of dailup,on SP1 + cable net it was almost like BT 0-o, but on SP2 it couldnt find more than 5 conenctions and the speed was horried,even tried kazblahz(kazzaa, this was a year ago) and it couldnt get the files that it said were there,DSL should be up and running by next year...hell I am thinking of gettign SAT DSL just as a addon to dail up.....

In short hile I was on SP2 last year I could not fix the speed limit SP2 has the limit on closed connections hit stuff like Edonkey the hardest,and even took a 10-30% chuck out of BT speeds and when your paying 50 a month for net nothign better touch the speeds......

In my transtion to rualness I was on dail up on and off and tried soem things with SP2...still the limit stayed even tried all the versions of the fix and it didnt help.

Also SP2 dosne like some of my hardware and software and drivers...and another thign I ahte is the new recovery setup to flash a HD back to the recovery date can mean the loss of new data uhg...its annoying to no end....

HALTRON
    Like I siad I ahd little trouble with Edoneky on Comstast Cable net when I put SP2 on it it hit hard down to 5 or 10% when it was runnign almsot as smooth as BT.

2. HALTRON

HALTRON Member

Whoa.. just finished getting the new connection set up. Gonna try Emule tonight see how that goes on the new conenction.

3. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

HALTRON
    any improvemtns you can see? ^^

4. HALTRON

HALTRON Member

I have to say that there is an improvement, i BELIEVE this improvement is due to a static ip. What i am sure of is that there is no difference in the speed of my new connection from moving from SP1 to SP2 (I reinstalled windows and started from scratch).
    Have you tried using different clients for BT such as Azureus?
    Another thing worth noting is that when i am connectd to EDonkey and i try to download a file, it can take quite a long time to connect to the sources of the file but when it does it generally moves at the speed which is indicated on the overall speed tab of Emule and Shareaza. This is in contrast from before when the download would not start at all. I also tried the Edonkey Client and i found this to be quite awkward to get to grips with, i would say that for downloading in the ED2K network Emule is a far better client, more configurable and user friendly (not to mention being free).
    The ultimate test of the new connection will be to use IRC, which i have'nt been able to use since i left dial-up, 2 years ago. I will do this either today or tommorow, i'll be using mIRC client.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  5. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

I tried 2 or 3 BT clinets at the time Azerus,ABC and mmmm bit comment and even the reg BT clinet.

Edonkey is about the nly P2P pre BT program worth fooling with I never got much of anythign off emule it jsut never worked right.

Altho currently I am on dail up and could mabye tell i Ed is cocked up 0-o

I am so tied of dail up...I need sat DSL....sicne DSL is a fing no show here......

6. HALTRON

HALTRON Member

Well mIRC works now where it didn't before.
    As for your speed problem you are sure that the windows firewall is TOTALLY disable aren't you? This is done through services and the group policy administrator.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  7. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

HALTRON
    I been disableing that thing they call XPs firewall sicne they drag it from the pits *L*

its deffentaly was cuased be the low connection SP2 dose,becuse SP1 no troubles what so ever SP2 edonkey is nearly dead in th water and BT took a 10-30% hit in speed.

I cant realy test much of anyhtign right now dailup is the fing pits...I am gettign to the point that 300 down will get me a serive thats as fast as DSL and as fickle as sat TV and dailup combine,I will have fulll time dailup as well mind you...but gettign to the point I have 300 to spend is going to take me 2-4 months *L*