1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xp stoped showing dvd burner in my computer

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by lifespeed, Nov 3, 2005.

1. lifespeed

lifespeed Member

Hello

My dvd burner/cd drive has stopped being deceted by xp. it shows up bios as primary on slave which it is. i have recently tryed to boot xp in safe by going to run and typeing in msconfig and select boot in safe mode and i am back in normal mode and it is not showing cd dirve. like no program is showing it. can anyone help me??

Thanx

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

any exclamation marks in device manager or an error code??

3. DemonDog

DemonDog Regular member

In Windows go to "Control Panel", "System", "Hardware", "Device Manager". Click on Device Manager, find the CD/DVD drives, delete your drive, confirm deletion and then RESTART your computer and let Windows "find" the drive when it starts and it will reinstall the drive.

This is the fix that works most often. The other possibilities are loose or damaged cable, or poor power supply connection. Of course the drive could be shot, if you have access to another computer and it isn't any of the above try the drive in that other computer.

4. lifespeed

lifespeed Member

ok it not showing up in device manager so on i am going to hook it up to my other pc and see what happens

thanks

ok the dvd drive shows up on my other pc but the one i want it to show up in canany one help me? its a lg dual layer burner

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005