1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xp system crashed HELP. CANT restore/ no keyboard

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by realrock, Jul 4, 2008.

1. realrock

realrock Member

I have a Athlon 64 pc running xp home, recently i had a power surge then my pc wouldnt boot I got the message that the <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe was missing or corrupt ..?? and to " please reinstall a copy ?
    well problem is that while in dos during bootup I have NO keyboard or mouse to select R for recovery or F for format or while trying to run a system boot / utility disk i cant select from that menu either so I go nowhere... or none of my F1 f10 f8 whatever no keys work to make any type of selections as well as not being able to run my restore disk because of the same issue. I did after MANY attempts get Puppy Linux to boot off of a cd and the keyboard and mouse worked perfect which tells me its not a hardware issue but a software problem??? ive tried usb and 3 different ps2 keyboards
    and none will work . what do I do ?? HEEEELP.

2. ozy

ozy Regular member

So what your saying is even wired keyboards won't function? If so it doesn't sound promising. Have you tried different usb ports? Can you get into bios setup at all?

3. realrock

realrock Member

no keyboards will work , usb , ps2 .. all wired . no i cant get into bios. and yes ive tried different usb ports. ????? I even tried taking out the battery so bios would automatically reset to default and no changes ? theres gotta be something i can try ????

4. ozy

ozy Regular member

Can you boot up the recovery console from your xp disk?

5. realrock

realrock Member

no wont boot up from recovery disk cause im not able to select r for recovery or f for format and so on??

6. ozy

ozy Regular member

First you are going to have to unplug everything except your ps/2 keyboard and power supply.

Secondly take the side panel off your case unplug any floppy drives, slave secondary hard drives and seccondary dvd rom/writers.

All that needs to be there is the hard drive that holds windows and your cdrom for cd bootup.

Try starting your pc normally to see if your keyboard responds.

7. ozy

ozy Regular member

Also remove any pci cards network, modems, usb ports etc. Do you know if there are any jumpers to reset the onboard bios as removing the battery may not be enough.

8. realrock

realrock Member

I had already unplugged everything except the 1 cd/dvd drive and the power supply. and no change .. There are 2 jumpers that says clear cmos 1-2 and default 3-4 , theres also something right near that about clear Password 1-2 ??

9. ozy

ozy Regular member

Try jumpers 1 and 2 first. No need to worry about password settings. You could clear both if you like.

10. realrock

realrock Member

Well I cleared the Bios using the jumpers and No Change, still no keyboard! I was able to boot a Linux cd AGAIN and recover all my photos etc and put them on my thumb drive!! BTW .. Thanks for the help Ozy! and.. I found the System32/ntoskrnl.exe file on the Hard drive from within Linux, could I manually relace the file its saying is corrupt ??? thats all i can think of? although I dont know where id find a uncorrupt copy of the file??

11. ozy

ozy Regular member

Well, I'm right out of ideas now. You may have to do a search to see if anyone else has experienced the same issues.
    Sorry I couldn't be more helpfull.

12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check in windows\driver cache\i386 & windows\driver cache\i386\driver.cab & windows\driver cache\i386\sp2.cabas that is were mine are tho windows\driver cache\i386\driver.cab was smaller file size then others.

13. realrock

realrock Member

Ok ill check it out thanks!

14. nhs0111

nhs0111 Member

This caused this problem in general ntoskrnl.exe document the reasons for the error is boot.ini file inside the corresponding entry and practical guide to guide the district do not meet, there is from other machines GHOST system over time without the right to BOOT. INI into the correct corresponding entry. To try other machines above the ntoskrnl.exe Kaodao your computer under the corresponding directory, if it does not work on the choice of repairing the installation CD-ROM with WINXP good!