1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP System Registry

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ben3gfc, Mar 11, 2007.

1. ben3gfc

ben3gfc Member

does anyone know the windows shortcut or program that tells you which programs have been run and when?
    regedit tells which programs and from where but does anyone know how to find out in regedit or which other program tells you, when?

edit: in other words a default windows program (program that came with windows that might be in the C:/WINDOWS directory) that tells you what applications that you have run and/or when they have been run?

2. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Your question is a bit confusing. But ill try and answer what i think your asking. To know the current programs that have been running in the past. I would just click the start button and check the last few programs that are listed under your internet search engine and email client program.

On another note if you want to find out what process are being used and what programs are in your start up and everything else and a registry cleaner. Their are two programs out there and both are freeware.

1. Ccleaner
    2. Easy Cleaner

Both these programs can be found under my profile page in my link section. Just click on my name and it will take you to my profile.

I hope that helps if you need any thing else let me know...

3. ben3gfc

ben3gfc Member

i'll try to re-write it to make it a bit easier:

i've been using torrents for a few years but my dad really hates them, he recently found out and says if he sees it again i'll be banned from the computer etc. the thing is the way he checks is by going to some program which i think is "registry editor" ('regedit' in "run" thingy) , which i've been to but he says he can also while checking which programs have been run i.e bitcomet and When (time) but when i goto registry edit, i can only see the programs that have been run, not when. also i can't just ask him otherwise he won't tell me and will know something is up.

i hope you can now understand a bit better, plz help as soon as possible

4. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

I understand now. I think your dad has got a keylogger program or a well a spy kind of program that keeps track of the commings and goings of the computer.

Personally i don't feel comfortable to help you break your dad's security. The only thing i would do is tell you to search the programs that have been installed on the system for a spy program of some kind and learn how to deactivate it. But that could get you in more problems.

Talk to your dad about what he is worried about torrents is it the fact that it can be traced etc.. if he is worried about that you can get a program called peer guardian 2 and block your ip address from being shown.

I hope that helps...

This was my 3000th post!!!!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  5. ben3gfc

ben3gfc Member

how can i find/search for the spying program if there is one? also, as much right as you could be with the spying program, i think it is just a normal C:/WINDOWS program. i think it is "regedit" that he uses but you can't check 'when' the programs were one so do you know of a windows programs that comes with the comp i.e command prompt, regedit etc that could find out when programs have been run?

6. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Spybot is a spyware finder and helps your computer not get spyware.
    What i mentioned was another type it records key strokes and all computer activities. You need to find one of those programs.

7. ben3gfc

ben3gfc Member

sorry i wrote the wrong thing, i've edited now

8. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

The only thing that comes to mind when it comes to windows and records it can be that everything gets stored in the internet history files.

9. ben3gfc

ben3gfc Member

okay then, how can i find/search for the spying program if there is one?

10. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

I am going to tell you to be careful cause i feel that your dad is not going to be pleased.

Go into your add/remove programs and you can find it there.

But from what i am gathering maybe your dad has good reason.

11. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

First off you need to find out what the big deal is (most probably downloading mp3s or games and he's worried about getting fined),i'm not aware of any downloader being taken court only uploaders,2ndly it is possable to surf and download quite safely by using a software like "microsoft virtual pc 2004 for xp home 32 bit or 2007 for 64 bit and vista or xp prof" ,basicly you install it then install any version of windows into it,anything you download can be then transferred to a usb device after being scanned for viruses. it's all done in a virtual partition nothing is written to hdd unless you save changes,read up on it assuming it's malware & viruses he's trying to avoid,there's also VMWare but MSVPC would be best

12. Plasmon

Plasmon Guest

Hi.
    Even if this appears as a "newbie" post. I have to tell you that I am not a newbie to the computer/windows world. I have been reading the posts, and I must agree with borhan9, only in the aspect that your Dad has "probably a very good reason" to suspect your "surfing" sites.
    Now. Let me entrust some insight to the windows/regedit enviorment.
    First of all. Regedit spells out the specific "keys" that are embedded on the computer. UNLESS you know exactly what "keys" are there (or the exact program), regedit does you absoutly no good in finding "spy-ware" programs (I use this as a catch all phrase). Finding out which programs were/were-not run, and the time frames is NOT a function of regedit. NOR will history tell you that information (unless you have a different program to 'specifically' tell you that). Even WIndows history will NOT tell you the time(s) that you accessed a specific site, it will only tell you the sites.
    I am going to ASSUME (we all know the spelling of that word and it's meaning) that you are "willingly/tryingto" access portals that your Dad feels is against YOUR safety, or the SAFETY of "your" computer on-line experience. Torrents is notoriously known for "spy-ware/adware" (or should I say 'cookie') inception/infection to computers. Yes, there are a some programs that will by-pass the normal "spy-ware" programs (but they are expensive) and will not show up on/in the registry "resident" OR system programs/History search (once there, spyware/adware will NOT see them). The latest/newist "keylogger" programs will not be 'searchable' via the normal means (regedit, system/history search, programs, etc.) I will NOT tell you where/who they are at, nor will I advocate you trying to circumvent your Dad's wishes to KEEP YOU SAFE on the internet. I WOULD advocate to the members of this forum to follow the time honored protocol of Protecting rather than abolishing the SAFETY of the internet.
    Just my input from someone who has been there/done that and wishes that someone else had given me that advice/information earlier.

13. ben3gfc

ben3gfc Member

okay i have a reply for all three of you:

borhan9: i've gone into add/remove programs but there is nothing there out of the ordinary so i highly think e isn't using a spying program. i think he just uses 'regedit' and is bluffing about the "when" i'm using it

scorpNZ: the big deal is that he thinks that everytime i use torrents, it is basically giving people a free pass to my computer. i think the virtual PC is a great idea but, how does the Virtual PC work and is it easy to uninstall, also does it run on boot or do u select it in the start menu or something? i download it, then do i have to get my Windows XP CD and install it? but wouldn't that come up on my pc in the add/remove programs and my dad has threatened to ban me from the computer if i'm using torrents again and if he sees the visual pc, he will know something is up. i feel like saying to him, "if we have 12GB of downloads/uploads (with BigPond so it counts uploads), then why can't we use it". but i can't cos then he will just argue with me and somehow keep arguing that he is right. so there is no point really arguing.

Plasmon: i am very smart at computers for my age but my dad doesn't understand that, and because he believes that he is way better at computers, he woun't listen to what i have to say eventhough i am right and i'm pretty sure he knows that.