1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP Thinks its 2000!!! ahhhHH help!!

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by anubis66, Dec 11, 2005.

1. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

ok. so i installed windows 2000 as a recovery operating system. i installed it on one partion different than the one with xp. apparently, when i select windows xp to boot with it must be trying to load 2000 but on the wrong disk, because it says "missing config file in "c:\.......system32\config\systemd missing of corrupt" or something like that. i cannont find boot.ini anyware, and i hve no xp install disk. can anyone help me?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  2. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

i just tried to make a new boot ini and it didnt help. i trieds the /REBUILD command and it still gives the same output. anybody know what the hell is going on? i really need my pc. like hella bad. i work from home and my windows 2000 partition is fast but sofeware lacking.

3. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Not sure if this will help but it's worth a try. Follow the steps ih order as I've used this method to recover from a corrupted boot file myself.

1> Download and create Windows XP Boot disks (you'll need 6 formatted floppies). http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310994

2> Boot from the created disks. When it loads everything and get to the part that says it's ready to install Windows, press the letter R to enter into the Recovery Console.

3> Run the following commands IN ORDER:
    a> chkdsk C:\ /P
    b> fixboot C:\
    c> fixmbr

After you've completed the above steps reboot.

Post your results.

Good luck!!

4. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

you think it would be ok if i used the xp cd's recovery console?

i dont know if my 7 yr old floppy drive still works. it never can format a disk. plus i have no floppys but one my drive says is corrupt.

and when i tried to use fixmbr it said it could make the drive inaccessable. is that true? if so, it is common?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  5. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

When you said you didn't have the XP Install disc, I took that to mean you didn't have the CD. If you have the CD, by all means use it.

XP is the system you want to get into, correct? Use the recovery console for the system you need.

Did you get to the FIXMBR part? You must have or you couldn't have quoted it (unless you read about it from somewhere). It is possibe that it could make the drive unaccessable to that partition. But isn't that the problem now? If your uncomfortable with this, just try the first two. It may work without fixing the master boot record.

Let me know of your progress. :)

6. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

well i just got my friends disk today. others tell me to re-upgrade and install xp again. but i would lose registry and drivers. haha thru this all i found 2000 to run insanely faster and cleaner but it has less support. and i will let you know, ill try what you said tonight.

7. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

gaahh i cant go into my xp os files cuz i need the administrator password i never set up. what do i do? theres this "c:\$windows.~bt" or smething like that, should i pick it?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  8. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

When is it asking for the password?

9. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

failure. it still thinks its 2000 and still looks for this missing or corrupt file in system32 called systemd

10. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Did you do the FIXMBR command?

11. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

yes it said "new master boot record at harddrive0/partition0" or something.how do i make a new boot ini? but my boot.ini has the same op sys's like 4 times and its a huge list i want to clean.

12. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

From the Recovery Console, type bootcfg /scan to list all available Windows installations on all available disks. Use bootcfg /rebuild to automatically replace the existing Boot.ini file; use bootcfg /add to append a Windows installation to Boot.ini without changing existing entries.

It can also be accessed from Win XP (which I guess you still haven't got into) and Win 2000.

Try and use the bootcfg /rebuild command then run the 3 others I listed above again.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2005
  13. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

i did that too now. now i have 13 boot entries. they wont erase and i can never find a boot.ini

im sad...

14. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

OK. What your going to have to do now is take more drastic measures.

Format the partation you installed Windows 2000. This will erase all traces of the 2000 install.

Then using the XP CD, run the Recovery Console again using ALL of the commands I've given you the first time (3 of them).

This SHOULD fix all the problems, if you do it right. :)

If you are still unable to boot into XP then you will have to reinstall.

Let me know what happens.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2005