1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP upgrade but no drives work properly

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Draziw123, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Draziw123

Draziw123 Guest

I just upgrade my computer from windows ME to XP Home. There was a problem though. BOth my cdr drive and my cdrom drive do not work. I installed a new drive and the firmware is up to date but it still does not work. What happens is the drives have to constantly look search for their place on the cd. This happens when im burning a cd or reading a music/data/softare cd (anything). It never finishes burings a cd it only does the buffer and then it never finishes. I dont know what it could be because i installed the brand new drive. help me :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2003
  2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

More info:
    1. Do you have SP1?
    2. What model burner(s)?
    3. DMA/PIO
    4. Burning Proggie

So what does it do?

Are the drives detected in the Device Manager, (i would also assume the Primary and Secondary IDE channels are both enabled - i suggest this because you are upgrading from ME, some of the older machines that came with ME had their secondary IDE channels disabled - stupid)

So can u listen to music? Copy data from the cd drive to the disc?_X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V333+RAID, AMD2100+
    Samsung 512MB, PC2700
    240GB [2x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB[/small]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2003
  3. Draziw123

Draziw123 Guest

its a brand new memorex burner (52/24/52) but it wouldnt be a problem with that because i have a noraml 52x cdrom drive that doesnt function as well. To be more specific, i hear it speed up. For ex, i was installing half life and it took like 30 minutes. whereas before the upgrade it took about 2 minutes. i have 512 mb ram so thats not an issue. it just is not reading the data as quickly as it should.

4. Draziw123

Draziw123 Guest

the primary uses ultra dma the secondary use PIO and they are both enabled

i dont know what sp1 is or how to see if i have it...
    music takes a while to read and cuts off in the middle of songs then starts up again after a little while (in either drive)

5. Praetor

Booooooooyah!
    That PIO should be something like "Multi-Word DMA" or "DMA Mode 2"
    Just set the combo box to read "DMA if Possible" and reboot_X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V333+RAID, AMD2100+
    Samsung 512MB, PC2700

Last edited: Jul 2, 2003
  6. Draziw123

Draziw123 Guest

Ok. The second drive changed to dma mode but the first which is the new memorex is still on PIO (the selector is on dma if available) the second drive works perfectly but not the new memorex....

7. Shoey

Shoey Guest

You can set both drives to DMA mode (if applicable) m8 then reboot your pc. Simply follow the instrcuctions Praetor gave you and you should be good to go. You'll be glad to know the MemorexMAXX 52x is actually a rebagged "Lite-On" burner and you can backup most game cd protections and audio cd protections as well. If you use packet writing software (cdrw) be sure you have installed the latest UDF reader.

Shoey :)

8. Draziw123

Draziw123 Guest

I follwed the instructions but it did not move to dma mode it still says that its using PIO mode even though the selector is on DMA if possible...

9. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Let me make sure you're doing this properply. Right click My Computer>properties>Hardware tab folder>Device Manager>click the + beside IDE\ATA Atapi controllers>double click primary ide channel>go to advanced settings tab folder>on decive mode 0&1 set to DMA if applicable now repeat this step for secondary ide channel>reboot. If you see PIO mode then both of your drives are on the same ide channel. Set the drive you will use the least to primary ide channel and set as slave m8 (hard drive= master)

Shoey :)____X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Forum Rules^
    Mobo: KT4VL MSI-6712
    CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2.5
    Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700)
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd

[/small]

10. Draziw123

Draziw123 Guest

so i need to switch the physical ide cable that the less used drive is on to the slave on the primary ide cable?
    If so, what about the jumpers? Right now, i think they are both on cable select, at least the memorex is, im not sure of the other one. do i set the memorex (use the most) to master on the secondary ide, the other one to slave on the primary ide?

11. Praetor

Um... you shouldnt have to mess with jumpers... if anything your bios may have independent PIO/DMA settings for Primary and Seconary Masters/Slaves. If you know how to, check those. What kind of mobo are u using?

12. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

i go with shoey! if 2 drives on same cable then you cant have them both master or both slave! one must be master and one slave! so you will need to whip those drives out and set the jumpers on the back! usally new drives have jumpers set to master! so one has to change!

Thx...

13. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Who mentioned switching jumpers m8? I recommended a hardware re-configuration for better stabilty and a possible fix..

Go to your bios and see if you can enable 32 bit transfer mode. I could run dma mode(Primary\Secondary) on my old mobo (MSI 6330) and there were no settings in the bios to change...

14. Praetor

Ooops... me reading one thing and seeing another... *doh*

Shoey: moderator eh? yay! :)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V333+RAID, AMD2100+
    Samsung 512MB, PC2700

Last edited: Jul 3, 2003
  15. Draziw123

Draziw123 Guest

ALright here are the options in my bios:
    it is set to
    type:auto and all i can change is 32 bit I/O (enable or disable)
    Transfer mode is set to fast PIO4 Ultra DMA mode is set to mode 2

i can change the tpye to cd-rom and can change everything:
    transfermode options are : (Fast PIO 1,2,3,4; FPIO3/DMA1;FPIO4/DMA2)
    ultra dma mode settings are Mode 1,2,3,4

im sure the problem can be fixed by setting the type to cdrom but i dont know what modes to select

16. Praetor

If im not mistaken CD drives are DMA/2

17. Draziw123

Draziw123 Guest

ok, but do i set the Transfer mode to

"fast PIO4/DMA2"

that is the entire option

and ok i know this threaD is getting anmoying to some so can i play with the settings in the bios until it works without screwing up the system or should i try and find the right settings first without trying random things...?

18. Praetor

The BIOS setting is correct.

That would be a good idea. :D

19. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Set transfer mode to DMA2

Set ultra dma mode to 2. Go to save& exit (F10) and you should be good to go m8.

20. mt_100

mt_100 Member

I am having a problem with a Cendyne 48x16x12 that is just aggrivating me.
    My setup is:

Win XP Pro SP1
    MSI-6330 Limited Edition w/RAID
    Dual hard drives in RAID 0 array
    Cendyne as Master on Primary IDE
    Lite-On DVD as Slave on Primary IDE

If I set the IDE Controller to "DMA When Possible" for both CD drives they are both detected in device manager, but the Cendyne won't read any type of disk. When I put a disk in, the drive spins up and all but then when I double click on the drive it shows nothing, like a blank disk, but doesn't give an error that there is no disk in the drive. All the disks work correctly in the other drive. If I set to PIO mode, then all works well.
    However in all cases, the drive access light on the Cendyne stays on all the time.

I have all new cables, and have reinstalled Windows as well with no luck. I am begging for help!!!