1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP upgrade will not work

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by drmax, Mar 26, 2009.

1. drmax

drmax Member

Strange. When I google windows update, it shows me the microsoft url.
    I click on this, and new screen appears in google, with the new url in the address bar, but it does not go to the website. It is not even "working" to go to the website. I've tried several different times, and ways of doing this and no go. I want to get the latest patches. It is a legal legit copy of xp. Not sure that it is registered on my pc, but doubt this would make a difference.
    Auto upgrade is turned on, which would not matter either. I am virus free, as far as I know. Have mcafee on and updated/scanned.
    What gives?

2. dailun

dailun Active member

Sounds like spyware/adware to me.

3. drmax

drmax Member

yes, like something is not "wanting" me to add the security patches.
    maybe i'll post this for microsoft to mull over. do you know of a good, free proggy to run/ck my pc? thank you.

4. varnull

varnull Guest

yeah.. fdisk XD

5. drmax

drmax Member

uh, not sure what you mean?
    have researched and will download and run spybot. another source seems to believe it is a malware known as Vundo. i'll look at it tonight.

6. dailun

dailun Active member

I run Spybot and then run Lavasoft Ad-Aware because as good as Spybot is, it doesn't find everything.

7. drmax

drmax Member

Hmm...it would appear that any type of spyware software...I am unable to connect to that website. I have done nothing to my system, to have created this, unless I got a bug. F'ing weird.

8. dailun

dailun Active member

This might be one of those "take a USB key to your nearest Internet cafe' and D/L Ad-aware and Spybot" kind of things. Some malware prevents you from downloading tools to remove them.

9. drmax

drmax Member

well, apparently i'm screwed, for i can't get to any website to download any type removal tool. if i go into "safe" mode, i am not able to get on the internet. strange.

10. drmax

drmax Member

FINALLY....I got a program "malwarebytes" anti-malware to load, and it found 13 problems, which were the problems. Problems were in the Hkeys, specifically registry key. Now everything is hunky-dory.