1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xp virtual memory

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by bigman75, Mar 11, 2011.

1. bigman75

bigman75 Regular member

I wonder if someone could help me my mate dropped up his laptop last week to me saying it would not connect online and was going at a snails pace, soi had a look and it was going really really slow takin up to 10 min to load a page. so i scanned it with avg and it was still the same so i put it in safe mode and was running fine apart from i could still not connect. so i saved everything on his laptop and reinstalled windows xp which seem to work until i went to update everything and i got a message along the lines off VIRTUAL MEMORY RUNNING LOW so i googled it and someone suggested using Registry Booster 2010 so i done that and i thought i had fixed it so i gave my mate it back but he just phoned to say it was still really slow and he will drop it up to me tonight after work. does anyone have any ideas please.thanks

2. aldan

aldan Active member

change the size of the virtual memory paging file
    Open Computer Management (Local).
    In the console tree, right-click Computer Management (Local), and then select Properties.
    On the Advanced tab, click Performance Options, and under Virtual memory, click Change.
    In the Drive list, click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.
    Under Paging file size for selected drive, type a new paging file size in megabytes in the Initial Size (MB) or Maximum Size (MB) box, and then click Set.
    If you decrease the size of either the minimum or maximum page file settings, you must restart your computer to see the effects of those changes. Increases generally do not require a restart.

Notes

To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
    You must be recognized as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your computer and on the computer you are managing to perform this task.
    You can view or change system properties on a remote computer or a local computer. To access a remote computer, right-click Computer Management (Local), click Connect to another computer, and then select the computer you want to connect to in the list.
    For best performance, set the initial size to not less than the recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is equivalent to 1.5 times the amount of RAM on your system.
    Usually, you should leave the paging file at its recommended size, although you might increase its size if you routinely use programs that require a lot of memory.
    To delete a paging file, set both initial size and maximum size to zero.