1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xp/vista ??????????

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by geburuh, Jan 11, 2008.

1. geburuh

geburuh Regular member

I have XP. My friend has VISTA.When I play his DL backups on my computer, the movie may freeze at any point. He has the same problem.
    Has anyone run into this?

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

when you say DL you mean a dual layer dvd right??

are they video files?
    are they copys of the disc?
    if they are copys of a disc try use a lower burn speed,
    what copy software do you use?

if there video files (mp4,avi,xvids...)
    you may need a codec pack
    thumb around here
    http://www.free-codecs.com/Video_Codecs.htm
    btw if they are video files what format are they in?

because they launch and play half way through i don't think its a codec problem, but before i can go any further please answer my questions listed above

3. geburuh

geburuh Regular member

DVD-DL. They are backups of movies.
    I use DVDDecrypter with Any DVD running-burn w/ clone 2
    He uses clone 2 to clone 2 w/ Any Dvd running.
    We never had a problem when he had XP.

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

it's Vista or XP and it's not the programs.... it's the media! When you get skipping, freezing, pixelations and then the player doesn't even want to read the disk it's the media!

there are plenty of reasons why certain dvds won't play in other players:

1. burning speeds: burn at 4x so there will be less writing errors (rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of the disk--8X disk burn at 4x).
    2. read manual for your stand alone player and use the disks that will play in your player. If your player is less than 2 yrs old then it should play the + or - R disks! I said SHOULD that's why you read the manual.
    3. try booktyping your drive to DVd-ROM so it will make your +R disks more compatible to players. Read this:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    4. make sure that there are no finger prints or scratches on your disk that make it hard for the player to read the disk!
    5. use good quality media (rule of thumb....buy the ones that are Made in Japan.) Verbatim is a top notch disk and is the only exception to this rule....some Verbatims are made in Taiwan and they are top notch!
    6. and don't burn too close to the outer edge of the disk ..... which will make the disk unreadable! but using good media you will be able to burn close to the edge better than lesser quality media. Just in case I only burn no closer than 4400MB, so if you can set your programs to that, all the better!

follow these little tips of the trade and you'll have better success! good luck.

also read this:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/
    why the +R media is better than the -R media

also: if you are not using Verbatim DL disks then you're using lesser quality DL disks because Verbatim is the best compatible and reliable DL disk you can get! If you use other brands you are not getting the better compatible and quality DL disk! Switch to Verbatim and you'll see your problems go away!

5. tripplite

tripplite Guest

i hate telling people to change media though because then they have to spend money and it may have not be the problem!!!
    thank you geburuh for giving us more detail, but the difference in media is everything!!

6. geburuh

geburuh Regular member

Thanks for the info--we will give it a shot.

7. geburuh

geburuh Regular member

Found the problem--installing a new burner in my computer solved the problem. I have owned many computers & have never had one admit that any thing was wrong with any of my drives. The mfr. of my present computer ( out of the box ) told me that nothing was wrong with my DVD drive. After 3 weeks they finally sent a tech. to look at machine. It took him 3 minutes to find that the drive was bad.
    Ain't life a b---h.

8. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

and then:
    So I guess your friend's computer with Vista should also replace his drive!!!! NO? hmmmmmmm or could your problem have been a combination of both bad drive and cheap crappy media or your drive was old and couldn't play the newer media properly! Sooooooo the techy just did the easy thing and replaced your old drive for a newer one and whaaaaalllllllllllaaaaaahhhhhh it plays and records to the new media! Gezzzzzzzzzz that's easy enough! Have a problem..... REPLACE! lol RIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  9. geburuh

geburuh Regular member

Just for your info--tech replaced drive 3 weeks after I purchased this computer----------4 years ago.
    I reliaced this drive twice since--once this week.
    My cheap crappy media is Verbatim DVD-DL 8X
    Any more smart questions...............................

10. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

that's funny........ I'm sorry if I asked SMART QUESTIONS...... I just thought that replacing to a new drive that works better with the newer media is a high price to pay for just DVD burning...... let me know the drives you replaced so I don't buy them in the future. I have my old HP200i that doesn't work anymore with the newer media and I have 2 other burners that never had problems with...... a BenQ and a Philips (that is a rebadged BenQ). My Philips is now 3 yrs old and my BenQ is almost 2 yrs old now. I did do firmware updates for the 2 drives to recognize the newer media.... but I found out that my drives burn better with the 8x media. The media you are using, Verbatim DL 8x, is new media, as Verbaitm has 2.4x DL media and 6x DL media that I know is good..... I am not familiar with it's 8x DL media. what is the media code for the Verbatim 8X DL media? are they made in India? if so then I wouldn't use that ... it's more inferior than the ones made in Tiawan/Singapore. Just my opinion...... don't mean to be smart....... just giving an opinion...... and I am truly sorry you're going through all these replacements...... that shouldn't happen. Something else is going on here if you had 4 burners in 4yrs go bad for you (the one that came with your comupter, one your replaced after 3 months, and then 2 since then in a 4yr period). thank G-d mine are still going strong! And I only buy Taiyo Yuden media @ supermediastore.com. No problems.... DVD+R, 8x printable hubs! Thousands of perfect burns.

11. geburuh

geburuh Regular member

The only reason I upgrade drive is to burn movies faster--use
    DL media,etc. Can you believe the first unit I purchased this week was defective ( I can't ) lg-gsa-E10L ( shake it --sounded like marbles bouncing around ) The store was out of them so I purchased a Sony DRU-840A. It works great. I guess if someone uses a drive as much as I do, you may have problems. 4000 + backups & a couple hundred disks full of photos. That's what happens when you have been retired 9 years. So give an old man a break............
    If I find the info you want I will advise.

12. geburuh

geburuh Regular member

ps:the first unit I replaced this week that was defective was a LG-GSA-H54L not LG unit shown above

13. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

I suspect the Verbs you are using are made in India and not Singapore, therefore are of suspect quality.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  14. geburuh

geburuh Regular member

They work fine in my new burner--also 8X Memorex.
    All my problems went away with this new burner except my physical
    ones-old age will get everyone in time.
    Have fun.................

15. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

one way to find out if your Verbs are from India or Taiwan/Singapore is to use DVD Identifier:
    http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

then you can see whether or not you are using poor quality/incompatible media...... and if you have freezing, skipping, pixelations with your burned DVD then 99% of the time it's due to poor/incompatible media and not a software or burner problem!

16. geburuh

geburuh Regular member

I can tell you ( when the old burner was working ) I even used PLAYO
    disks & they gave me excellent copies.
    AMEN & good nite...........

17. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

and how does it play now with your PLAYO disks?????

18. geburuh

geburuh Regular member

New drive will play PLAYO disks just fine.
    I can't tell you how it will copy those disks because I stopped using them 2 years ago when my buddy ( now vista man ) told me he was having trouble copying with PLAYO disks.
    Again--for you & others--My computer troubles went away after I installed the new Sony drive.
    So let's get off the kick that the disks I was using was the problem & not my drive -------------------OK

19. tripplite

tripplite Guest

sry im not keeping up

what software is he using, alot of software wont support + or it wont support -r
    he should try copying with a different source

20. geburuh

geburuh Regular member

He rips w/ ANY DVD & burns w/ Clone 2-------you got a better idea
    let me know.