1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP Wasting Disk Space on new hard drive

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Dwayno, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Xian

Xian Regular member

What the monitor manucturers got in trouble for years ago was claiming a montitor was 17" or whatever size but they were really measuring the entire tube size including the part hidden behind the plastic frame which could be as much as an inch or so. After the lawsuit is when you saw the 17" diagonal measurements being used. Before they just gave the horizontal measurement as 17" when really only 16" was viewable.

2. in-effect

in-effect Member

Indeed. My 15" LCD is a negligible amount smaller than my 17" CRT. It's silly really. I wonder how anyone used to cope with 15" CRTs...

3. Iakupo

Iakupo Member

I thought LCD screens gave a less fluid picture than a CRT screen because the individual LED's cannot flick on and off fast enough and causes a slight blurring (Correct me if I'm wrong). For this reason (and the massive price difference) I would buy the more bulky and cumbersome CRT monitor anyday.

4. in-effect

in-effect Member

hehehe... you've got the wrong end of stick slightly there mate.

Yes, some people do prefer CRTs for various reasons but not the one you state. What you say about LEDs is indeed true, but irrelevent. LCDs (Liquid Crystal Displays) and LEDs (Light-Emitting Diodes) have no connection whatsoever and are two completely different technologies. It sounds like something a bad salesperson would say (no offense intended).

A good-sized LCD with a digital (DVI) signal is the best picture you'll ever see (for normal money anyway).

5. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I wish they could make LED`s that small, that would be really cool. I agree with all the good points of LCD. After having an LCD for almost one year, I would never go back to CRT. However I would disagree with it being the best. I have seen DLP with much higher contrast, but is more expensive.

6. in-effect

in-effect Member

that's exactly what i was trying to say ;0)

7. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

VHW: Behave. 'nuff said.

8. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

9. in-effect

in-effect Member

fwoooaarrr.... that's some serious hi-tech business.

It may be expensive now but can you imagine buying an LCD screen 5 years ago?? No way. But times move fast.

There's no point having too-high quality - the human eye is only capable of seeing so much detail. It's like having a 128-bit sound-card - The ear is actually incapable of distinguishing the extra quality.

10. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Well that depends on what you are imaging on a monitor. For the lab work I do, I can not have less than 1400 x 1050. This is the minimum to see nice little binding sites on cells for the reseach I do. If I was using SVGA, I would not be able to see much and my cells would look like a pixel. One supervisor has a wall screen LCD that is 72 inch. Just over half a million when bought, but is needed for Medical fine detail imaging.
    DLP is great as you can get up to 2000:1 contrast, much better than the Great (junky) LCD 400:1 contrast. And DLP don`t loose intesity over time like LCD do.

11. in-effect

in-effect Member

i know what you mean but i'm not talking about resolution, more about definition if you know what i mean.

12. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Ya I do know, I wish I had a UV cone receptor. The colours would be great. But you may be surprised what we can see. The average human has three receptors, blue, red and green. Surprise, Surprise why those are used for Tv's. However some people have multiple receptors or less than three and each individual has some variation on the over lap of the receptors. But with all this aside, at least from what I have read and know about the biochemicall pathways of the eye. Technology has a long way to go before it surpasses it. LCD right now get killed by there inablilty to show true Black, and this does affect some images and quality.
    I was reading about a new SED image technology, Surface-conduction electronemitter display. Seems really cool and is why Toshiba will stop making CRT's by this September. I can't wait to see how they perform compared to DLP and LCD. I find Plasma to be junk, the fliker drives me nuts.

13. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Hey just noticed how off topic this conversation is, but still on topic in a new topic. Preator, with your Mod power can you copy this thread, Rename it to Display technology and move it if needed? Or for that matter any Mod out there.

14. in-effect

in-effect Member

well it's nice to be in a place that doesn't condemn off-topics. but then i suppose it would be a different matter if we'd been talking about 'favourite foods' or summink. ;0)

15. ssswift

ssswift Guest

easy.....lol....outside windows 1024bytes=1024bytes
    inside windows 1024bytes=1000bytes
    nasty but true