1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP will boot into Safe mode not Normal

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by rougespok, Feb 18, 2008.

1. rougespok

rougespok Member

Last night after doing a standard reboot my machine will no longer boot into normal mode. Below are my observations.

* System appears to boot normally reaching the XP Pro screen
    * Eventually the progress bar stops moving
    * Select safe mode or normal mode screen appears
    * If Safe is selected system will boot
    * Rebooting from safe sends machine into boot loop
    * If normal is selected then a quick blue screen flashes
    * System continues to reboot

I am thinking that I may have to recover (repair) from the OEM XP CD. Not really sure if this is the correct direction to move in. My other thought is trying to use the Ultimate Boot Disk in order to run a dskchk.

Thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. seb32

seb32 Regular member

Try turning off the "Automatic Restart on System Failure". You can do this from safe mode:

Go to Control Panel > System > Advanced > Startup and Recovery (Settings) then uncheck "Automatically Restart"

This should prevent the system from restarting, so you can see the BSOD, and this should help in determining the cause of the problem.

3. rougespok

rougespok Member

BSOD is tellling me that there was a problem with the following file: sunkfilt62.sys

It appears to be an issue with my memory card reader. Should I disconnect it first or attempted to re-install the file?

Thanks.

4. seb32

seb32 Regular member

Disconnect, then see if you can boot. If you can, you might need to reinstall drivers for the reader. It could also be a hardware error with the reader itself... do you have warranty?

5. rougespok

rougespok Member

disconnected and it will boot into normal mode.

I guess it is time to look into a new and higher quality memory card reader.

Thanks for the help.

6. seb32

seb32 Regular member

No problem.

You could try reinstalling or updating the drivers for it, but if that doesn't solve the problem, you probably have to replace it.