1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP with DOS

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by NHOJ, Apr 1, 2005.

1. NHOJ

NHOJ Member

I bought a new HD bought a new copy of XP and when i go to dos to install it, it sais"This program cannot be run in DOS mode.If i put my old Windows 95 in it,it will start set up then it says 95 cant be installed on a 40 GB HD.When i try to go online to get a copy of 98se i put it on cd but the pc wont notice the cd in the drive.Somebody help?

2. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Boot the PC using the Windows XP CD-ROM. It will then automatically start the installation process.

3. haimback

haimback Regular member

You dont have to go into dos to install XP, make sure in BIOS that your CD/DVD drive is the first place your comp will check to boot from (PRIMARY), you should then be able to just load XP from your disk>remember and set your hard drive as primary boot when your done.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what are the specs for your computer??

5. Xian

Xian Regular member

It sounds like you are running the wrong file. It can be installed from DOS, but you don't run setup.exe. Go into the I386 directory and run winnt.exe from DOS.

6. NHOJ

NHOJ Member

I did like you said make the cd player boot first.And for the first time something happend.Setup went all the way to the end and then eror came up and here is what it said.(Session 3_initialization_Failed.Disable Bios memory options such as caching or shadowing.)
    I have another problem i think.When i formated the HD i dont know if it formated in NTFS or Fat 32.O and i tried the i386 thing and could'nt get that to work.So does anyone know how i find out if its NTFS or Fat.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what did you use to partition & format the hd??