1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP Won't Recognize Pacific Digital Drive

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by harklar, Nov 4, 2004.

1. harklar

harklar Member

I am a newbie, and a little old.

I have a Toshiba laptop with a Pacific Digitatl DVD +/-R/RW drive that I hook up using the firewire cable that stopped working a few weeks ago. XP won't generally recognize it, nor will NTI Backup Now! write to it.

I have already uninstalled the drive (hosted in an ADS Technologies USB 2.0 kit) to no avail. Anyone else had a similar problem or know a fix? Many thanks in advance for your sage advice to this newbie.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

This may be a little belated but have you tried the drive on another PC to get an idea of whether it's the drive or your system?

3. harklar

harklar Member

Nope, but I bought a new drive (wanted a faster one anyway) and it still ahs the same problem.

4. harklar

harklar Member

OK, bought a new Sony Drive, dual layer, etc. really new. Worked great for a week and now I have the same problem where I put a dvd in the drive and windows tells me it is a cd drive. Anyone else have this problem?

5. Nephilim

Are you using an enclosure for an internal drive?

6. harklar

harklar Member

My original drive, the subject of the beginning of this thread, was, but this one is a standalone external drive. Strangely, Nero works on this now, but Backup Now! does not. To be honest, I am thinking of moving to Bangladesh and giving up technology forever at this point.

Harklar

7. Nephilim

Ha ha! You too?

Did BackupNow! come with your original drive or did you purchase it separately? Some bundled apps will only work with the drive they came with.

Alternatively, have you serched for an updated version of BackupNow!? It's possible it may need an update to recognize your new drive.