1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xtra-pc

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by rtrg, Jan 31, 2020.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

xtra-pc is a custom made linux version OS made to be similar to windows written to a usb stick. I watched and read videos and reviews. it seems to work well with a wired or wireless network needed for installation. no activation, or license to buy. it comes loaded with some common apps. what the documentation does NOT say if third party apps like web browsers or pdf readers can be installed either windows or linux versions. can this be done and how? I have tried a "windows" like version installed from a cd but found it clunky and other apps I would prefer were either not included in the "repository" or not available . I know linux and windows are not compatible and I found installing linux apps from the repository did not always work. does anyone know if this is a product worth trying? some reviews say it comes on a CD which can be used to use it from the CD without installing it or install it later. other reviews say only the stick is used with no choice NOT to install it. if it is not plugged in to a usb port than of course it is not being used. it must be reinstalled on the same computer every time it's needed, I think. any advice welcome.

2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

3. aldan

aldan Active member

for that price i would get my own usb and download a free linux distro.did i say free?

4. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I have to agree. I just try to address the specific issue that the author is interested in. That version of Linux looks like it's been around for about 15 years. If one has Win 7 or Win 10, he could set up a dual boot or a virtual machine using Ubuntu18, which, as far as I know, is free.

5. aldan

aldan Active member

even mint would be ok for anyone wanting the windows 7 look.this was a bit of a scam from the get go.

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Confirm what wither says about using a vm to try it.However performance can't be measured if your pc specs aren't great.Other option run the cd as a live cd on re-writeable media ,again performance takes a hit

For a windows look then reactOS. I've only run it for a bit.Mints pretty good & sleek.If your hardware is old then any one of the puppy distro's. This bugger can run entirely in ram if u choose not to install
    PCLinuxOS is good & stable 4/5
    Zorin. 3/5
    mint 4/5
    puppy 5/5
    reactOS not tested properly so prefer not to rate however it does run windows programs.Again not tested to check claims
    All linux distro repository's are here
    https://distrowatch.com/

Edit: Check linux forum section here at AD.There's an old regular ps355528 that's made a topic or posted comments on which distro's are better for stability & general use

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    aldan likes this.