1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xvid asd

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by mdadalt, Aug 24, 2006.

1. tqnth

tqnth Member

2. tqnth

tqnth Member

I used virtualdub and with all the setting in place, and it did not convert to the decompress file that i want.

Here's the settings that I used:

Video: 326 kbps
    23.976 fps
    640 x 480

Audio:
    48kbps
    24,000 Hz
    2 channel

Profile@Level:
    Advanced Simple@L3 (I'm not sure if this is the correct setting)

As a result, the file that i wanna shrink down did not do its part. The file size is more than the original file.

I'm confused on which twopass to use (the twopass-1st pass or twopass-2nd pass).

Is there a guide in which I can use to do a better job of decompressing my files. Tahnks in advance.

3. DaisyF

DaisyF Member

You're mixing things up. If you do two pass encoding :) you have to use both 1st AND 2nd pass.

Do -Twopass 1st pass- first (for making an encoding map) and then do -Twopass 2nd pass- (the actual encoding). The one without the other doesn't work.

Let me know which codec you are using : divx or xvid. I use xvid and I just use the -unresttricted- profile, no need for tweaking.

Look at doom9 for a guide http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=16935

Look at xvid for a free and very good codec http://www.xvid.org/

Look at Super for an integrated encoding solution http://www.erightsoft.net/SUPER.html

Hardcore-users dig Virtualdub though

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  4. Hisam

Hisam Member

Hi Daisy,

thanks for the link to SUPER!
    I did not know about it yet and I will try.

Take a look at
    MEGUI

Last edited: Feb 9, 2007
  5. Boerseun

Boerseun Member

Hi guys....I am VERY new to this "game". I need help please!!!! I've downloaded episode of Sliders with an .asd extention. I get it to play with ALC and Media Player Clasic but there is NO SOUND. I've installed FFD Show, no luck. Please HELP somebody!!!! Ideally I'd like to play it on my DVD player connected to my TV, like Hero's and others.....THANK you to the souls who take pity on me....

6. Boerseun

Boerseun Member

Me again, in relation to my msg posted earlier today. Here is what media player clasic tells me:

MPEG-1 Audio Decoder::Out
    ffdshow Audio Decoder::Out
    Audio Switcher::Out

Media Type 0:
    --------------------------
    Audio: PCM 48000Hz stereo 1536Kbps

AM_MEDIA_TYPE:
    majortype: MEDIATYPE_Audio {73647561-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
    subtype: MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM {00000001-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
    formattype: FORMAT_WaveFormatEx {05589F81-C356-11CE-BF01-00AA0055595A}
    bFixedSizeSamples: 1
    bTemporalCompression: 0
    lSampleSize: 1
    cbFormat: 18

WAVEFORMATEX:
    wFormatTag: 0x0001
    nChannels: 2
    nSamplesPerSec: 48000
    nAvgBytesPerSec: 192000
    nBlockAlign: 4
    wBitsPerSample: 16
    cbSize: 0 (extra bytes)

pbFormat:
    0000: 01 00 02 00 80 bb 00 00 00 ee 02 00 04 00 10 00 ....€»...î......
    0010: 00 00 ..

Media Type 1:
    --------------------------
    Unknown

AM_MEDIA_TYPE:
    majortype: MEDIATYPE_Stream {E436EB83-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}
    subtype: MEDIASUBTYPE_None {E436EB8E-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}
    formattype: FORMAT_None {0F6417D6-C318-11D0-A43F-00A0C9223196}
    bFixedSizeSamples: 0
    bTemporalCompression: 0
    lSampleSize: 230400
    cbFormat: 0

....and when I try to get the codecs from the net (as prompted by mpc) there is just a blank screen.

Hope this helps you techckies....Thank you...

7. joeako

joeako Member

Hey has anyone else noticed that XviD is DivX backwards?

8. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Very old news. Basically you had DivX 3.11alpha which was just a hacked version of MS MPEG-4 V3. The same people started a project (project Mayo) to produce an opensouce MPEG-4 encoder (OpenDivX), but then they closed it, started DivX networks and released DivX 4. People who wanted to continue developing an open source MPEG-4 codec took the OpenDivX code and started XviD. Neither DivX (I would think) nor Xvid contain any OpenDivX code now.

9. coldet

coldet Member

It's really interesting how the ASD group keeps their method/settings secret. What's even more interesting is the fact that no one really has a decent answer. I've been downloading movies/tv episodes etc. for ever and have yet to come across an equal to the "asd" copies (file size/quality).

If there is anyone here that does have a clear answer to their settings/method, PLEASE post it here so we can finally put an end to this thread.

10. coldet

coldet Member

OK - I'm gonna try to put this to bed. But first - thank you meatwagon for sending me the translated guide in PDF. I have posted the file onto the newsservers at alt.binaries.xvid I unfortunatly dont know of a file hosting site to use.

The asd compression method in a nutshell.

1. They use Video codec XviD 1.1.0-beta2 and warn that newer versions may cause problems!!
    2. Sound compressed with standard MPEG-Layer3
    3. VirtualDub
    4. Start VirtualDub and set Audio - Full processing mode
    5. Next select Audio - Compression
    6. New Window a)select MPEG-Layer3 b) on right select 48kBIT/s, 24,000Hz Stereo 6KB/s
    7. Now select Video - Compression..
    8. In the new window choose Xvid MPEG-4 Codec and click on config
    9. New window a) click on Load Defaults b) in Encoding type select Twopass - 1st pass apply by clicking on OK.
    10. Open the video file you wish to compress (warning can be ignored) then select File-Save as AVI.. give a file name and your compression will start.
    11. Once complete Do not close program after first compression or you'll have to start everything from the begining. now it's time for the real compression ie. the second pass.
    12. choose Video - Compression..
    13. New window click on Configure
    14. New window at Encoding type: change to Twopass - 2nd pass Now ....
    15. In Target size (kbytes) calculate the following:
    Input file size (MB)/3,5 = Target size(kbytes). Example 376MB/3,5 = 107,428 Target size rounded off to 105000. click on OK
    16. Now it's time to choose File - Save as AVI.. The compression will then start.
    17. Check the new file and make sure that the audio/video synchronisation is correct.

And thats supposedly all there is to it.

11. meatwagon

meatwagon Member

Thanks, Coldet, I don't know why I didn't think of posting a summary of directions as you did. I also want to pass on my thanks to several people in the group, but especially Markus for translating from the original Polish.
    Will be interesting to hear what kind of results we get. I just compressed a 700+MB file to 175MB with pretty decent quality.
    Thanks all,

12. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

No real directions there (I mean default settings?) and I don't see what is wrong with newer builds. With 1.2.x for instance you get SMP support. Still can't see how you can get quality with less than 30% the original filesize. You should at least be resizing down and maybe applying some heavy filtering.

13. coldet

coldet Member

@celtic and I suppose anyone else - Hey dude I've just summarised the "asd's" "how to guide".
    They DO get amazing results, or we wouldn't all be trying so hard to find out how they do it.

I must say here that I tried ripping a dvd last night. I used DVDx and a recent version of Xvid. I pretty much used the settings from their guide and was able to rip direct from a 119 minute DVD to a 320mb avi file. The results were very acceptable when played from my Divx Player onto a 72cm Flatscreen TV.

I often download 750mb dvdrips and even 2x750mb dvdrips that are of dubious quality. I'd be pretty chuffed if I could download movies to the quality I was able to obtain with my very first try using their settings.

I'm not a dvdrip pro, how it all works, I really can't say. That it does work - well, you wouldn't be reading this thread otherwise. Good luck & happy ripping.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  14. coldet

coldet Member

btw - ANY DVD runs in the background to bypass the copy protections.

15. Boerseun

Boerseun Member

Hello jamesrruk[/b]. Have you managed to play those XviD.asd files? I'm having the same problem, can't play those .asd movies...! Can you help please? Can anyone help PLEASE...!!!

Thank you for the help.

16. coldet

coldet Member

Hi Boerseun - I use VLC Media Player on my pc. My Warfedale DivX DVD Player also plays the files directly from a Memory stick.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

17. ejputz

ejputz Guest

I have no way of checking this; but I think at least some of these XviD ASD files use adaptive quantization (xvid profile settings). This gives better compression, but is incompatibile with alot of dvd players. Creative use of B-VOPs also causes problems with hardware players. This could be why they seem to work for some people, and not for others.

If I can add my two cents to the "how-to" discussion; whenever I (re)compress any video for local storage, I use the following 2nd pass settings:

Advanced Simple @ Level 5
    All other settings default
    !!!bitrate formula: 160000 b/s PER-HOUR of video!!!
    (More like 120000/hr, if you're trying to match ASD's compression)

I prefer to use LameACM for audio encoding. It has fewer problems with A/V sync. If I'm doing batch encoding, I re-sample audio to 48kHz (or 24kHz) just to make sure everything is equal.

If you're tying to match ASD's Mp3 compression, you'll have to resample to 24kHz, and use FhG's codec (AFAIK, the Radium version is the only codec that allows 48kbps @ 24kHz). Lame won't let you go lower than 64kbps @ 24kHz in Stereo. I never go that low anyhow. It only saves a handful of MBs per-hour, and sounds like S#!T. Keep audio at 128kbps/48kHz and your ears will thank you!

18. ejputz

ejputz Guest

Did I say "Adaptive Quantization"? I meant to say "Global Motion Compensation".

19. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

GMC only helps in certain situations and it really isn't worth the speed hit. One thing I would point out that if you are going to be encoding at low bitrates, then run your first pass at a higher quant than the default 2.

20. ertnemz

ertnemz Member

English section of the Xvid ASD is here :)

Remember to read this first, before you register.