1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XVid audio problems

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by atlpara11, Nov 30, 2003.

1. atlpara11

atlpara11 Member

I've installed the XVid codecs, and G-Spot says that I have the necessary ones. But the audio on X-Vid files goes faster than the video. I've tried removing and reinstalling all necessary codecs, using Media Player 9 and RealPlayer 8, but none have worked. Do you have suggestions about what I could do, or if there's any way to convert X-Vid files to either Div-X or AVI? Thanks.

2. sonofsan

sonofsan Member

Most liklely your problem has nothing to do with the XviD codec but rather the speed of your processor. If your computer is not fast enough the audio will be ahead of the video (a problem with P2 and P3's). If you have Windows 2000 or XP you may be able to get around the problem by using the task manager and resetting the priority of the video player to "above normal" (don't try anything higher or you might destabilize your system). This way if there is something else stealing your PCs CPU power you can assign it to second place. If you just have 9x then try shutting down all other major apps while you are playing your video. If neither of these approaches work then the only option is a faster PC. The problem is especially noticeable if you have files that are either ripped at a high resolution (like 720 x 384), have an AC3 track (decoding an AC3 track uses a lot of CPU power), or are coded at a high bit rate. Also you can try a faster media player -- Windows media player is CPU intensive. Try either the Zoom or DivX players (the divx player WILL do Xvid) -- they use less CPU power than Windows media player.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2003
  3. guest123

guest123 Member

i have the same prob with xvid playing on wmp8, and even the ati file player for my vidcard has the same out of synch problem.

here's the solution and it won't cost a dime: bsplayer

download it here: http://www.bsplayer.org/

since i installed it, no more out of sync problem for xvids.

truth is, "Divx" doesn't have that problem for me on any player but XviD does, so it is a codec problem, the xvid guys should look into it.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2003
  4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like conflicting sets of codecs/filters?

For a complete listing of almost every codec required to watch a movie and the order to install them in... pay a visit to http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/48608