1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xvid AVI is so jerky it hurtz my eyez, how to re-encode/convert?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by pathfindr, Aug 6, 2003.

1. pathfindr

pathfindr Member

i downloaded an Xvid AVI file which is seizure-inducing'ly "jerky" during every second of play-back on every media player (WindowsMediaPlayer9,WinDVD,DivX Player 2.1,etc)...

do i need to re-encode/convert this file to another NTSC or PAL "format" in order to view it correctly on my computer, without the constant "choppy-ness"? ...or do i have to accept that it's a bad encoding job by the original DVD-owner?

according to GSpot the frame-rate of this AVI file is 23.976, aspect-ratio is 512 x 384, codec is Xvid. the file was encoded from a 50-minute japanese music concert DVD, i think.

i checked to make sure that my other Xvid-encoded video files and they all played just fine, but this particular file is jerky...

do i need to convert this file to a PAL format or something?

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Which codec are you using to decode the movie?

3. pathfindr

pathfindr Member

what i mean by "jerky" is that the video image continues to shake and jerk like there's an earthquake, for the entire 50-minute duration. i've tried 2 different Xvid codecs but the video is always jerky ("Xvid TotalPack 1.3" and "Koepi's Xvid Codec build 24062003-1 June 2003").

also, if i play the file in DivX Player 2.0, the video image is jerky AND UPSIDE DOWN...

by the way, i'm running WindowsXP on a 1.6GHz Pentium4, with WindowsMediaPlayer version 9.

according to GSpot, this AVI file was originally created using AVISplit and Nandub... am i looking at a bad file that was originally encoded wrong, or am I doing something wrong?

is this a common Xvid problem for other people here as well?

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Last edited: Aug 6, 2003
  5. pathfindr

pathfindr Member

i'm going to continue to reinstall all the xvid codecs i can find, until i find the one codec that can display this AVI correctly. this is so frustrating :-(

hmm, i think maybe it will be quicker to train my dog to swim to japan and bring back the undistorted original 4-disc music concert DVD-pack...

no, wait, i think i will also tell it to bring back some Gundam DVD and manga too :)

let's see, japan is roughly 5000 miles away, give or take 2000 miles, factoring in the time-zone difference and the average "dog velocity", minus the arctangent of the trans-Pacific trajectory... i guess i can get my DVDs from japan in less than a week if i book my dog on an airline by 8pm tonight. wish me luck!

6. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Try using the FFDshow filter to decode the file.

If that doesnt work, then it must be the way the file is encoded.

7. pathfindr

pathfindr Member

WOW, THAT WORKED! holy cr*p. woooo!

THANK YOU powerdup! THANK YOU! A BILLION THANK YOU'S!

THE "FFDShow" DECODER FIXED THE JERKY PICTURE in that xvid video! i almost gave up after trying 2 other Xvid codecs... thanks so very much powerdup for your magical response!

So it WAS the decoder that's causing the problem. Wow. thanks again powerdup! do i need to post this solution in a special "commonly-encountered xvid problems and solutions" section in this forum so others may benefit from it? or is this something that's best handled by the forum's "search" function?

8. pathfindr

pathfindr Member

Well, problem solved! thank you everyone! you guys are awesome :) i bow to the guru.

9. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Glad you got the movie to work out.

No, the search function will help out others that have this or some similar problem.