1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xvid avi to mpeg using TMPGEnc

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by JMT74, Jan 26, 2005.

1. JMT74

JMT74 Member

Well I converted a movie that I downloaded off the net which is an Xvid avi to an mpeg using TMPGEnc. I did this and played it back. I noticed it plays it in full screen instead of wide-screen. Which is ok but there is no sound at all. Where did the sound go and how do I get it back?

2. Moishe

Moishe Member

I have the same problem... no sound. :\

As far as the picture goes, if you are using Media Player Classic to watch the .m2v file, right click the playback screen, select Pan and Scan > Scale to 16:9 TV. When you watch the playback in Fullscreen mode, it should display the proper format.

Regarding the sound issue, TMPGEnc did produce a .wav file alongside the .m2v file, but there is no audible sound that I can tell. I did select that I wanted them both to be encoded, so I don't know why it would create the seperate .wav .

Can anyone suggest anything?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I think that, choosing Settings__Advenced___ Video arrange Method: Full screen (keep aspect ratio) the video problem should be solved.
    More tricky to solve is the audio problem. Did you read http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/129217 ?
    TMPGenc cannot decode some kind of compressed audio (.AC3 being the most common, .ACM being another one), if you haven't installed a proper plugin.
    You can, if you cannot decode the AC3 audio, make as written in http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/129217 : 1) extract the sound (VirtualdubMod or Virtualdub). In virtualDub, chopse 'Audio __ Direct Stream Copy' then Save WAV. In VirtualdubMod Stream___Stream List (you should see a 48 Hz audio stream)___Demux.
    2) encode the sound (.WAV, .MP3) to ".MP2 for SVCD" checking, in BeSweet, 'Downconvert sample rate' (it makes 48 Hz --> 44.1 Hz; 44-1 Hz required for (S)VCD's audio. 48 Hz is used only in DVD's audio).
    3) use the .MP2 as 'audio input' in TMPGenc or, if you don't want, for brevity, to re-encode the movie to have a 16:9 movie and want to keep the old (mute) movie, simply multiplex the mute mpeg movie (MPEG Tools, Simple Multiplex. Type: MPEG-1 Video-CD) with the ,MP2. Since you chacked 'downconvert sample rate' (48--> 44.1 Hz) you shoulfd be aple to multiplex the sound, otherwise you should re-encode the sound with TMPGenc (long work).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  4. Moishe

Moishe Member

Thanks for the advice, aldaco :)

I had read the two threads you linked to... I had downloaded AC3 Filter thinking it was the codec and tried VirtualDubMod with no luck.
    After reading your post I looked again for the AC3 codec, which I found. Tried VDM again... success! I was able to save the audio as a .wav that I could actually hear!

Cheers!

5. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

VirtualdubMod is needed only to extract the audio, not to decode it. For it you need audio codecs (AC3 plugin and so on...). If you hadn't had codecs, you could have used BeSweet (+ GUI) as decoder/desampler.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005