1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xvid file is wierd

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by hongman, Apr 1, 2005.

1. hongman

hongman Member

Hi all

Real new to this so please be gentle! Right, I have a avi file that is encoded with Xvid, 700MB. Upon playing with WMP, it just shows a fuzzy green screen for about a second then stops.

I downloaded Video Fixer, and tried using that. It said it successfully fixed the file but when I examine the supposedly 'fixed' file size, it only shows 275Kb...

GSpot reckons the orginal is Xvid, codecs installed and the file length is correct.

Can I save this file? My reckoning is that there is some sort of corruption just after the first 275Kb, so it stops playing there.

So, what are the tricks of the trade? :)

Thanks

Hong

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

I use Video Fixer too. If it's doing that, your avi file must be pretty much corrupted.
    On the other hand, there is logic in your reasoning. You may try to play the file to see if there's anything wrong at around 275kb. If so, you may use a video editing program to cut away the corrupted parts. This way you may be able to savage the rest of the file. I sometimes do this with downloaded movies.

3. hongman

hongman Member

Thats what I was thinking: if I cut away say the first 300Kb of the file, maybe the rest is fine?

WHat tool can I use to do this?

4. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Many programs can do this, e.g. DVDSanta, Nero, X video converter, Power video converter....

5. hongman

hongman Member

Thank you!!

I'll look into it.

:D