1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xvid file size question

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by upkidget, Jan 13, 2004.

1. upkidget

upkidget Member

Hi all.

Situation: fairly well versed in divx, have started to look at the xvid+ac3 guide. in short, its great, but as it's my first attempt i want to get everything straight in my mind before moving on to next movie.

im currently working with LordRings1/SE (2 disks UK) - which is interesting in itself. The other big point is, as i have a DVDr drive, i'm intending my output file to be as close to 4.6gb capacity as possible.

now, the xvid bitrate calc only goes up to 2100mb. I ripped both discs and worked out total length of movie, i put both ac3's in same folder, and added them into the calc. i then noted the vid size value at 2000mb, 1800mb, 1600mb before realising it appears proportional. using excel i extrapolated, and got a value around 3800000kb, which sounds about right, as the audio was about 730mb.

however once the encoding was done, and i multiplexed the audio, i ended up with my two complete parts yet the total file size was only ~ 3.7gb, or for what i'm doing, only 81% of a DVD's capacity, and it shames a waste to not use up a whole 1/5!

so right now i'm redoing the encoding of the first disc, using a value which i've calculate based on my findings, which hopefully means the two parts will fill the dvdr completely.

so really what i'm after is info about what happens when using high values. does xvid have an upper limit, like by default will it compress a movie x% without even trying, thus (as LotR is so long) just about any movie will fit on a dvdr and might not even need fill it up?? if so should i just put in 10gb for the "desired vid size" and be done?

be interested to here thought/theorys. thanks!
    ukg.

2. upkidget

upkidget Member

well i guess i answered my own question. i've just re-done the first part, specifying a "video KB target" of about 20% greater than last time, interleaved in the audio, and guess what... final size of this one, 1.74 GB (1,870,100,480 bytes), flick over to one done a few days ago and see... 1.74 GB (1,870,100,480 bytes).

To the exact byte!