1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xvid files

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by QBsFinest, Oct 29, 2005.

1. QBsFinest

QBsFinest Member

Hi, thanks for looking. Got some XVID files on my computer. I want to make them into avi file or just ready to burn onto a DVD disc. I'm using DVDSanta, Cucusoft also have DVD Shrink & Nero. Any ideas?

2. nikibilly

nikibilly Guest

well, not unless i've missed something, but whats the problem?
    Who are you referring to when you say 'thanks for looking'?

3. dravidham

dravidham Member

QBsFinest,

Just caught your thread.

Oh dear..don't you just love it when you get a reply like nikibilly's. Wow - It took him eight days to think up that pretty sarcastic 2 liner :-/.

I'm no expert, but I get by using the basics. Give this a try:-

1./ Open DVDSanta and take steps 2 to 8 ALL in DVDSanta.
    2./ On first screen, click on 'Video Files AVI,WMV...' Icon
    3./ Click on add media icon
    4./ Select all of the files that you wish to convert to DVD Video and click 'add'. If there is more than one file that you're converting, then make sure the files are added to DVDSanta in the correct order that you need them, e.g. on a tv series - season one episode one, episode two, etc, as the files will convert in the order that you add them.
    5./ Select preferred video standard - PAL or NTSC (up to you)
    6./ Video resolution - leave it as it is
    7./ Select your preferred aspect ratio i.e. full screen 4:3 or widescreen 16:9 (up to you).
    8./ Click on the create dvd icon

The conversion will now commence. It's that easy.

Once DVDSanta has confirmed that the conversion has completed, you have finished with DVDSanta and you can close it.

You'll now be ready to burn the resulting DVD Compliant files on to DVD blank Media. You will find the DVD Compliant files that DVDSanta has created are stored in the following place on your hard drive by default:

C:\TempDVD\VIDEO_TS\

If you have more than one hard drive then the drive may not be c:/ of course :)

Nero will now be able to burn the contents of folder C:\TempDVD\VIDEO_TS\ for you.

I dont know your version of Nero so I wont babble on in this respect as it varies a little from version to version what the procedure is and I'll assume for now that you're o.k. with burning DVDs files with Nero. If you need some Nero help though, then come back to us with the version that you have and I'll walk you through the burning stuff.

When you have burnt the contents of the project on to a dvd and you have tested it on your stand alone dvd player and you are happy that the playback is of a good quality and also skip free, you can deleate the original XVID's from your hard drive.

Good luck and any probs, give me a shout.

Dave.

4. QBsFinest

QBsFinest Member

Man why can't there be more nice & helpful people around like yourself. I copied what you wrote incase it happens again b/c the file opened with my ultra ISO. That made it to a Dat file witch I renamed to a mpg file. Then Santa took it. But greatful for reply. Yeah, the other person was a dork! That's why I have the signature I have. Anyways, see if you can help me on this one. I got some avi files, I put them into Santa. Evetything seemed fine. I burned it w/Santa (should I have?) & the movie plays in my cheap portable DVD player but not in my Sony DVD (regular) player. It reads the following " Playing this disc prohibited by area limits"

Now, this wasn't a rip, this was Downloaded. I have a Sony DVP-S330
    I noticed that it says that it's a DVD/CD/Video CD player. Not a DVD-R or DVD+R player. But most of my movie work in it.

Also other movie I have (Full movie) put into Santa check file there was only one Vob File. Most times more like 5 or 6 VOB files. Burned to disc anyway & only 25% of the movie was there. Yet other movie hear all audio but screen froze in the first sec. of the movie.

Last but not least what's a stand alone DVD player? Heard about those.

5. dravidham

dravidham Member

Hi,

Playing this disc prohibited by area limits? - Weird. I reckon that you've got a copyright protected movie, or it's the wrong region code. We can get round that. Download a copy of AnyDVD from the download section of this site. Free 30 day trial and it's a top tool. Just let AnyDVD run in the background and burn your vobs again and then things should hopefully work o.k.

I've tried DVDSanta for burning before and it gave me problems so I tried burning with Nero instead and then the burnt movie worked just fine. I'm not speaking for everyone - that was just my own experience. I use Nero or DVD Decriptor all the time now for burning. They're both easy and they're both good. The only other thing I can think of is that your dvd players are not liking whatever brand of blank dvd's you are using. I use Taiyo Yuden. They are pretty expensive, but as they work perfectly 98% of the time, in the long run I find them cheaper than throwing away other brands when they give me jip. TDK media is pretty good also and it’s a bit cheaper than ‘TY’. When I used to use crappy media, my cheapest dvd player would play movies most of the time, but my Sony and XBOX hardly ever would. Even when they did play, the films would freeze and skip all over the place around half way through. When I changed to other media the problem was pretty much solved.

A change of media is the easiest thing to try first, but failing that, I should also mention perhaps a firmware update for your burner, if there is one available.

Moving on to the second movie that you have tried playing (or what there is of it) I would be 90% certain that the freezing is down to your brand of media here also. Try another brand and see how you get on. If it still plays up, then my guess is that there is something wrong with the converted file.

To be honest on 'movie two' I really think you have some files missing there. Does ‘Movie Two’ originate from xvids or are you trying to rip from retail disk/downloaded vobs? – I’ll assume for now that the files are xvid/s. Do you try to load more than one xvid into DVDSanta, but only one shows up in DvdSanta just before you click the ‘Create DVD’ button?

Like you say, there's normally at least 5 resulting vob files once the dvd video conversion completes and there should also be some bup and ifo files there too. Try converting the xvids again with DVDSanta and save them somewhere else. I would recommend creating a new folder on your desk top (or somewhere else of course if you prefer). Then go in to DVD Santa and click the 'Change' tab next to the 'DVD Video' box. Then browse to the new folder that you have created on your desk top.

See what you have in there after the xvid conversion. I bet there will be around 7+files.

Lastly, a stand alone DVD player is a normal DVD player - you know, the one that is hooked up to your TV rather than the one hooked up to your pc.

Dave.

6. nikibilly

nikibilly Guest

Firstly, i've been busy so pardon my late response...

Secondly, my post was NOT meant to be sarcastic nor did it take me 8 days as claimed by some user, i only saw that thread when i was looking through the threads with no replies on that date. My post was not meant to come across as unhelpful, the questions i was asking were completely valid.

You said you have some xvid files, well, they are already in .avi format, thats one thing, if you want it in DVD format thats another thing, the user that posted that silly reply about a two liner gave you the answer that will help you to encode the file, author it, and then burn it onto a DVD. if you only made your questions more clearly in what you wanted to do then i could of said the same thing, but as was the case your post left to many questions unanswered and you was completely unclear of what you wanted.

Now, that user that helped you should of realised that i wasnt being sarcastic, rather i was trying to get to the bottom of what you wanted help with doing.

Anyway, keep in mind that calling fellow users insulting names is NOT going to get you anywhere.

7. dravidham

dravidham Member

nikibilly,

Thanks for that reply - read posts properly before posting smart ass'd replies, and then grow up. READ HIS ORIGINAL THREAD.

The guy needing help doesnt need your 'humour'. He's got better things to read. You werent sarcastic?.....maybe not on your planet, but on ours you were acting kind of....abnormal. Grow up.

I as we all probably do, aprieciate the fact that you have now confirmed our thoughts. You truely are a complete tw*t. You only have your dad to blame, i guess.

Go get your self off to school, once you've changed your wet trousers.

Move on you unhelpful tos*er. Sorry, that was kind of rude, I really meant childish loser.

Go play in your padded cell. With a gay username like that, you should hide anyway.

If I pick up a ban for this, it will be unfortunate, but given your ingnorance, I guess that it will just be a casualty of life.

Hey, QBsFinest - if you need any further help, just pm me. 4get that male organ!

Dave.

8. gamename

gamename Regular member

nero vision express 3 is a very handy app. if u need more help write back. by the way anydvd is worth every penny. u can find it at slysoft.com

9. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

WTF is going on here?

dravidham and nikibilly

You two need to knock off the name calling and squabbling. I don't care who started it. All I'm concerned with is that it ends NOW and QBsFinest gets the help he/she needs.

10. QBsFinest

QBsFinest Member

Wow lots of stuff going on here. LOL. Any way I have anydvd, just didn't know it was useful when encoding. Thought it was only for ripping. I have TDK media as well. But was using JVC for those. Yeah i think it's a region thing. Trying to get a hack for the dvd player. No luck yet. Some players (cheaper ones) don't have region settings in them. Thanks again to everyone that was to help. Hope I can help later on.

11. dravidham

dravidham Member

@ Nephilim,

Apologies. You too nikibilly, I was pretty unkind there.

@ QBsFinest,

I wouldn't bother too much about a region hack. If you burn any region film whilst running AvyDVD in the background, it will burn to 'Region 0' in other workds the movie will become region free and it will work in any region of DVD player. Make sure you use the most recent version.

12. QBsFinest

QBsFinest Member

Thanks you