1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xvid is playing fine but its really dark

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Kaila, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Kaila

Kaila Member

hi! ive installed like nic's xvid codec and keopi's latest xvid codec. It took out the pixelated green stuff on the avis but the problem is that the colors of the avis that im playing is REALLY dark. It looks like someone took off the light and you can barely see the pictures. Does anyone know how to fix this?

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

You can use virtualdub's brightness filter to brighten the film. Just load the movie into vdub and select the brightness filter and configure to your liking and then save the file as an avi. Make sure to set video as direct stream copy, then save. _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is but a dream...so wake me up already!!![/small]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2003
  3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Afraid you cant apply a filter and have it on direct stream copy! It has to be on Full Processing Mode otherwise the instructions are the same

4. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Damn it...sorry about that Kaila. Thanks for the headsup Praetor.

5. Kaila

Kaila Member

no no you misunderstood =) the file works fine. I tried playing it on divx player and the color is normal but when i use Media player the color is dark. So its like when you play it on Media Player the pictures dark but the minute you press stop. The color goes back to normal again. ^^ am i making sense?

I also tried playing it with the sasami player and the same thing happened to it. The film was really dark.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2003
  6. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Well have you tried messing around with the video settings in media player? Im pretty sure theres an option to brighten up the picture. Have you tried the zoomplayer? I find that its pretty good for video playback and not cpu intensive.

7. Kaila

Kaila Member

Hmm... i dont think its the setting of the media player that's whacked. Coz when you plan non xvid videos it seems to work fine. Do you think it might be the codec itself's thats causing problems? zoomplayer seems to have the same problem with it >_< its also dark

8. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Well, it might be the codecs that you're using, does this probelm happen with all your other xvid movies? Try uninstalling one of the two xvid codecs and see if you still have the problem. Also you might try and take a look at using ffdshow decoding filter. It'll decode movies that were encoded with a whole range of codecs including divx and xvid.

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/ffdshow.html

9. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Could it be video card settings? I know there are some setings that automatically detect when a movie player fires up and adjusts brightness? There might be color schemes too (like Theater/Vivid etc in PowerDVD)