1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XVID ISSUE WITH SYNC

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by purcy, Jan 23, 2010.

1. purcy

purcy Member

Hi, I have read a heap on the web to try and get to the bottom of a problem that I have in playing a merged XVID file on a standalone DVD player. I cannot find a solution to the problem anywhere so hopefully someone here can help.

Basically, I have two xvid files that I merged using AVI-MUX (the two files are for the same video part 1 and 2). Once this was merged I was able to play this file with no worries whatsoever on the laptop that I used to merge them. When I play that same file, however, on a standalone DVD player, the is a sync issue with the video and audio that starts right at the very start. The audio/video are only out of sync by a fraction of a second but it is very distracting. I played the two files separately on the DVD player and they seem to work ok so I am of the belief that it must have been something to do with the merge, but why it will work on the laptop but not on the DVD player is beyond me.

Has anyone any idea as to why this may be, and if there is any way that I can fix the problem.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Does it do the same in another standalone player?

Maybe it's over the 2GB limit for AVI files and the standalone doesn't like it?
    Maybe the audio is VBR and the standalone is having a problem with it?

I've had problems with sync when joining AVI files - usually because of VBR audio - but after using AviDemux the problems were less.

3. seagrave

seagrave Regular member

I on the other hand have given up on AviDemux for XVID because of audio sync problems. I'm checking out StaxRip which seems to be a quite capable tool.

4. ute4after

ute4after Member

When I play mine on the standalone, I never join the files. I make sure both are named the same. I place the numbers 1 and 2 on the respective files. I burn them to disc as two files and my standalone will play them fine. You may see a small blip or hear a beep when the 2nd file starts to play. They may play w/o any notice of when the 2nd file starts playing.

Below is something I just tried to test it out --

http://www.avidemux.org/

I just used this to join 2 AVIs with different resolutions.
    It made 1 file and everything plays - the video and audio are synced from
    beginning to end (it played on my PC).

File/Open the first AVI. NO to packed bitstream.
    File/Select Append. NO to packed bitstream.
    Don't change the drop down boxes. Leave them as Video/copy, Audio/copy and
    Format/AVI.

File/Save/Save Video
    Create a new name.
    Save in folder of your choice.
    Enable Smart copy if it asks you.
    Use the default Q factor - OK.

The encoding will start.
    It took my PC 3 minutes to complete. I'm also running several other
    programs, so your mileage my vary.

The joined file was not saved with any file extension ( .avi).
    So I changed the extension with Properties Plus. Right click on the
    movie file and add the .avi .

Properties Plus -
    http://www.brothersoft.com/propertiesplus-5394.html

This is my first time using the program, so excuse any
    errors typing the directions.

5. Paula_X

Paula_X Guest

"properties plus" .. idiot.. just rename it!! avidemux by default ONLY saves a file with the name you give it.. that INCLUDES the extension.. so winduhs n00bs with your "hide extensions" crap turned on take note.!!. avidemux is open source.. and like all proper programs gives you FULL control..

usually when things don't sync up it's because of the b-frames or the i-frames not matching.. people split films by size rather than properly at an i-frame like they should.. I find vlc will usually repair a file which is butchered like this.. try rebuilding the index of both files first before joining them.. or just splice then rebuild.. one way or the other should make a good result.. I have tested both and the results vary depending on how the stolen film was chopped for size in the first place. I always split on a keyframe.. saving all this bother.

as for this joined film playing fine on the pc but being out of sync on the standalone player.. nothing to do with the file.. it's the player that has a problem.. obviously

6. KeyLee19

KeyLee19 Member

lol someone is having a bad day.

7. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

LOL,sorry, but that just made my day!

8. mistycat

mistycat Active member

It's probably AviMux, I'm sure I read of at least one person that had a problem with a DIVX player and AviMux_Gui created files.