1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xvid movies in 16:9?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by cod3fr3ak, Feb 5, 2007.

1. cod3fr3ak

cod3fr3ak Guest

I have several xvid movies that I would like to display in 16:9 on my 16:9 display. How do I accomplish this?

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Well if you were running mplayer you would add monitoraspect=16:9 to your config file. You really need to be more clear about what you are trying to do.

3. cod3fr3ak

cod3fr3ak Guest

Okay let me give more details.

I am building a home video library. I have some movies that are in both xvid and dvix5 that are encoded in 1.33:1 ration (I think this is full screen). Anyway I have a 42 inch plasma display that I play all of my movies from. Problem is when ever I watch one of these movies there are always vertical black bars on either side of the movie. The proportions also look weird, like the people faces are elongated a little bit. Not much but its noticeable. I am not sure if this can be corrected without severely degrading the quality of the movie. Thats why I wanted to know if there was a way to convert the movies to wide screen format. Currently what I do is tell my TVIX player to display them in full screen mode, which then makes the images look too "fat". I have a bunch of files to do so a program with a batch mode would be great. I tried using autogk, but thats still a work in progress. aAny suggestions would be greatly appereciated.

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Only way to convert 4:3 to 16:9 is to cut the top and bottom off. Some content is shot this way, so it works fine. You would probably end up cutting peoples heads off. Basically you just have to put up with black bars on the sides or buy the WS version, assuming it is available.

5. cod3fr3ak

cod3fr3ak Guest

Okay thanks. i don;t think I want to do that. I guess, I'll just find a better source.