1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XviD playback question.

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by janlafata, Dec 21, 2008.

1. janlafata

janlafata Regular member

I have a 975 MB avi movie file that was originally ripped from a DVD using XviD. I want to send it to a friend of mine in Japan on a CD to be played back by her Windows Media Player. In case your wondering why I don't just burn the whole thing to a DVD, so she can play it back on her home DVD player, is because her machine, an ONKYO, will not play back DVD R or RW's.

So I've gone to plan B and decided to just send her the movie on a regular CD, because she doesn't have a DVD ROM or burner either. But to get it all to work I have to both shrink the file to below 700 MB's, and also add subtitles.

I posted a thread on here and videohelp.com yesterday, asking for suggestions as to the best way to go about all of this and several very nice people gave me some great advice.

However, one of them, AVI Recomp, says that it reduces the size of the file using XVID, so that means that, in the end, you'll still end up with a file that has XviD compression on it, but just smaller.Does that mean I should tell her to install the XviD codec before she plays my disc?

Also, while I'm thinking about it...The file I was mentioning and a few others all initially said that they ripped with XviD, but my WMP plays them back fine and I have no XviD codec installed! Why do you think that it works in WMP then?

I do have DivX installed, but that's about it, no other popular codecs are installed, at least none that I know.

I'm a newbie here as far as computer video goes, so thanks for your patience as I continue to learn by asking lot's questions.

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member