1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xvid screener locks my p.c. up

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by darkstate, Oct 17, 2003.

1. darkstate

darkstate Member

My system is a pentium 4 ..2.6ht 800fsb,gigabyte motherboard,pioneer 106d cd/dvdwriter.audioplile2496 soundcard,pixelview gf-fx5600 graphics,The problem is i try to play Xvid cd film and it locks my system up,i have'nt a clue what settings to have on/off on bsplayer but when
    i run the g-spot it says iv'e got 3 codecs in the 4 cc..they are Xvid MPEG-4 codec,ffdshow MPEG-4 video decoder,X-vid
    MPEG-4 video decoder....The video 4cc=xvid...the audio=ac3(0x2000)dolby labs,the codec for that is nero....if you press render @the bottom the direct show says e/the name of the film...AVI splitter(splitter)ffdshow=video decoder...video renderer=(video renderer)AC3Filter(audio decoder)Default WaveOutDevice(Audio Renderer)..What do i set in the G-spot program and what do i set in the bsplayer program ??i've been chopping and changing for 2days straight without any luck,iv'e got ffddshow and the k-lite codec pack...any help would be much appreciated..many thanks

2. Kingd

Kingd Guest

Okay, if your talking about watching the movie off a cd, then its probably your cd/dvdwriter. Newer xvid movies are tough on resources to decode, and what happens is some cd drives, especially if its a combo (cd/dvd rom or writer) have slower read times then straight cd-roms and make it diffult to play. Try copying the movie to your hard drive and watching it that way. If you installed nimo, then you should have both xvid and ac3 filters to decode and watch the movie.

3. darkstate

darkstate Member

YOU are the man>>>Iv'e just spent 2 days of my life installing and re-installing numerous programs just to play the damn XVID but as you can read and i didn't do the easiest and most logical thing ..drag and drop to hard drive,i don't know, a lesson learnt,i played it with REAL PLAYER no probs,i guess BS PLAYER will work the same ,i haven't tried it,when i right clicked to play, real player got hold of it and started playing so that'll do for me,hope this helps some one else as it has me.
    Do you know where i can get the driver to run the dvd/cd player with an XVID?
    Any chance you know how i can get those 2 days back as well?,
    Many thanks for your idea and i won't forget it.

4. Powa

Powa Regular member

Also change your cd drive to UDMA transfer mode, its probably stuck in PIO transfer (very slow) which windows has on by default.

5. Kingd

Kingd Guest

Ahh, the dreaded real one haha. Yeah, they like to change all your format defaults so that it becomes the default player. If you ask me real one stinks donkey's ass haha. What you can do is close real player, open up bsplayer right click on it and select open, and navigate to the cd drive or c: drive or wherever you have the avi and that should load it in bsplayer. The controls are right there and you can hit alt-enter for full screen and back (just like in windows media player). That should take care of it. Personally i prefer bsplayer myself.

6. Kingd

Kingd Guest

Also you can open up options in real one (not sure how as i havent used in eons) and look for supported formats or something to that effect, and uncheck all formats except real media formats, that way it wont try to play every single thing. Real one is such a pain in my buttocks haha.

7. Kingd

Kingd Guest

You asked about getting the driver to run the dvd/cd player with an XVID? Since the latest Xvid ALphas, its become harder to play off cd/dvd combo drives like i said. Even on my p4 3.0 with 1000megs of ram, my cd/dvd rom drive has trouble playing XViDs. Just copy them to your hard drive whenever you want to watch a movie thats all and keep them on cd for long term storage.

8. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Wowzers.... trouble playing DivX/XviD on those kinds of systems????? Something is definitely amiss there because I can play them fine off a 40x CDROM on a P3-800.... is DMA enabled? As for codec configurations.... http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/48608

9. darkstate

darkstate Member

Alls i wanted to know was how to play an xvid and king d has answered that fine,i watched the film no problem,now me,i'm a newcomer to all this p.c. stuff,And when my mate told me i need a codec and i got it and it didn't work he said try this try that and the other and it still didn't work,king d your idea was what i was looking for,not get this get that,the problem has to be the dvd/cd writer,i cant change the writers DMA phisically,the only other route was START/CONTOL PANEL/SYSTEM/DEVICE MANAGER/IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers all were set to DMA mode,anyway to all who read this,the easy route(KING D)IS ALWAYS THE BEST...to praetor you obviously know your stuff but i really haven't got a clue about any p.c. jargon,my pioneer dvd/cd writer obviously is pants at trying to play Xvid but as king d as proved you don't need to play it in the player you can copy it to your hard drive and watch easily from there,many thanks everyone for your help..

10. Kingd

Kingd Guest

Hey praetor, cool nick, anyways cd-rom drives dont have a problem playing xvid files as there seek times are usually very fast. Combo drives on the other hand, such as dvd-rom drives or cd/dvd writers have slower seek times and ive noticed tend to have problems playing newer xvids cleanly. The issue might also involve which xvid codec you have installed. I never had a problem on my old computer with older xvids, but since ive installed the latest xvid alpha's, they have become more dificult to decode. Could be that the latest alphas have improved b-frames, q-pel, and other options that improve overall quality but also are more resource intensive to decode.

11. darkstate

darkstate Member

My friend' who i got the film off'says it is the new xvid alpha version,and because its high quality coding it maybe the reason for the dvd/cd player struggling playing it ,but never mind the question as been answered,iv'e watched it without any problems via the hard=drive as above,but if there is a driver that would help the dvd/cd writer overcome this problem i'd give it a shot,i know there is a driver for multiregion for it but i haven't seen one for the xvid problem,thanks again everyone