1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XVID Subtitles on DVP 642 - not possible AT ALL?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by daniel+, Dec 22, 2004.

1. daniel+

daniel+ Member

I understand DivX subs should be working ok with the Philips DVP 642 (DVP 630/02 current version in Europe).

However, I just can't get any subs to function with DivX, I've tried .sub .srt .you name it - it doesn't work.

Do subs only work with DivX or do I have a major problem? I already upgraded to the latest firmware 1109 and all I get instead of the nice little sub icon is a big, ugly ? on the "disc menu".

I named the .avi file X.avi and the subfile X.srt or X.sub.

Any help extremely welcome, many thanks in advance.
    /Daniel, Stockholm - SWEDEN

2. Lallla

Lallla Member

I have the same problem. Have you got any responses from other forums etc.? I would really like to know if you solved the problem.

thank you in advance/Jonas

3. daniel+

daniel+ Member

Nope, there is no solution. Handed the machine back to the store a couple of days ago. Bad luck.

4. projektor

projektor Member

Subs work OK on my machine. How are you selecting them?

5. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I too would like to see it. I know how to re-encode movies with permanent subtitles, but I don't know how to load them on a DivX movie player.

6. projektor

projektor Member

You have to select the subtitile file in the file list menu. Then press the Subtitle button and "Divx Subtitle Selected" text will appear on the screen. Then just select and play the movie. The subtitles don't even have to be on the same disc - you can load them from one disk, eject it and play the movie from another disk.

I hope this will solve your problem.

7. Lallla

Lallla Member

thanks projektor. Once I knew how to do, it worked just perfect. Pretty small letters, but great anyway.

8. infringer

infringer Member

There is a way to make your letters larger if it is an issue if I recall correct it was in the autogk asistant addon where you can have advanced options thus changing the letter size ...

If your aspect ratio and frame remains the same or near the same the lettering should as well try doing a larger resulotion rip keep your width at 720 or you can do a 100% quality rip and burn it to a dvd+or-r and enjoy the movie in full quality or use virtualdub or virtualdubmod to split it depending on CBR or VBR audio.

But check around help is out there for this sort of thing.

-infringer-